Owl and Pussycat figures

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 16 January 2011 1.40pm
I can't remember the street name, but it may be Southwark Bridge Road just before the rail bridge where it joins with Borough Road. Does anyone know anything about the building on the right with small white owl and pussycat statuettes in alcoves above?
Monday 17 January 2011 12.19pm
Wildly speculative but could it have any connection with Edward Lear. His father Jeremiah Lear was imprisoned for debt in 1816 in Kings Bench Prison Southwark. Can't find any help on Google to support this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Bench_Prison
Monday 17 January 2011 12.37pm
Interesting idea. I have been fascinated by this building for ages. Perhaps Edward paid his father's debt off and papa put the statues up in gratitude??????
Tuesday 18 January 2011 4.26pm
can you put up a picture for those of us too lazy to walk down and take a look at them
Tuesday 18 January 2011 4.53pm
Hi - I am not good at downloading things but there is a snap on a recent entry in my very boring blog which is at www.makesyousick.blogspot.com
Tuesday 18 January 2011 9.56pm
Hi chavender - Happy New Year to you!

I love a good Google based detective hunt.

Do you have an exact street / road name and number for the figures?

Post 'em up and let's search this enigma and get to the bottom of it!
Tuesday 18 January 2011 10.13pm
The building is on Southwark Bridge Road, just south of Borough Road, next to Waterloo Cars. You can see them on Google streetview, though not very well. The door to the right is number 233. 231 is to the left and it looks to me like it could be either that is the address.
Tuesday 18 January 2011 10.16pm
Thanks Boss, Happy New Year to you too. Thanks for that Beetroot, spot on with the location. I do hope someone can find out why the Owl and Pussycat are there.
Tuesday 18 January 2011 10.17pm
http://jonathanstill.com/2008/11/23/the-owl-the-pussycat/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: