End of the Subways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 17 January 2011 11.37am
The subways' days are over(they were actually destroying the Draper house entrance as I went by this morning).

Either force of habit, confusing instructions or the longer walk via the fenced in diversion was compelling most people to move the barriers and use them anyway...

The junction feels very different already, very much more human and less intimidating to cycle through ore walk across - the pavements look high quality too so far. once the bike racks are in this is going to be quite a transformation.
Monday 17 January 2011 1.03pm
Agree. Huge difference and it's so nice to cross level - even in the rain. Regeneration is finally starting.....
Monday 17 January 2011 11.40pm
I thought the plan was to keep the subways open as an underground Waitrose, no?
Monday 24 January 2011 9.48am
A few images on flickr: http://bit.ly/ea8czn
Thursday 27 January 2011 6.38pm
I agree its not before time but there are a couple of downsides, temporarily its a bloody long walk at the moment on the Walworth Road corner, and permanently, now pedestrians have to wait for vehicles to be nice enough to stop, whereas the subways allowed free passage...

Think I may try a run across to the central island between phases to shortcut the route! :) Would have been nice if that had been part of the crossing as at the Whitehall junction with Trafalgar Square (Charles I statue island).
Thursday 27 January 2011 9.08pm
There'll eventually be a direct crossing between the Chinese restaurant and the sports centre won't there?
Friday 28 January 2011 3.38pm
Tried it all out today...it's still very cumbersome with all the barriers and so on, so I guess I shall have to wait a bit before passing judgement. But I always WAS in favour of the underpasses, because waiting for the lights is not much fun, particularly as it's freezing cold. Another point...I see countless people impatiently rushing across on "red man"...a recipe for accidents.
Friday 28 January 2011 6.34pm
Even the Green Man light is a recipe for incidents at this new intersection...

Because there are sets of traffic lights very close together (e.g. turning left from Walworth Road to go down Newington Butts towards Kennington), many drivers don't realise the second set of lights exist. Stepping out across the southern-most crossing after the green man appeared the other night, I was almost bowled over by a car that had just set off from the lights nearest Strata, as he'd not seen the second set of lights (obviously on red). This car was then followed by 5! other cars that were also completely oblivious. I'm predicting trouble..

The confusion for drivers does come from the fact that they're not expecting to have to stop at a set of traffic lights on red only having just set off from a green set, a couple of yards prior (more confusing because the second set is round a slight corner). They're also effectively stopping in the middle of an intersection (traffic coming from the northern roundabout could then join them at an odd angle while stopped for pedestrians).
Wednesday 2 February 2011 12.31pm
Yes, this is a flaw, they need to hold all the traffic, bar right turnings from Walworth Road, and left turnings from Elephant and Castle, while the southern crossing is in use (but I don't think the signals as they are provide a filter for that).
Thursday 5 May 2011 1.52pm
Anyone heard anything on when they are going to finish the work? They don't seem to have done anything for a month or so.

The cycling arrangements seem more and more bizarre, we have the approach lane between two traffic lanes on the walworth road side (and the middle traffic lane doesn't seem to be wide enough to fit a London bus, which are using the cycle lane aswell) coupled with a weird cycle lane that leads you into people waiting at the traffic lights. The occasional marking indicate that the whole pavement is a 'shared space' - which I don't think anyone likes...

The odd light timings continue at the walworth - Newington turning, so normally there is a car stopped in the ASL.

It's not like there wasn't road space here to do it properly.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: