Burns night toasts - help anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 17 January 2011 5.15pm
No doubt there are many Scottish ex-pats in the SE1 community who have experience of Burns night Toasts.... I am charged with the Response FROM the Lassies and so far the t'inter has failed me in terms of ideas. Thoughts very welcome on words you may have heard that worked before?
Monday 17 January 2011 5.59pm
Monday 17 January 2011 6.54pm
Someone has to toast the haggis I vaguely remember from the only Burns night I have been too, but don't remember if that is part of a responding speech or a full toast on its own!
Monday 17 January 2011 7.08pm
My wife is Scottish and I had to do this a couple of years ago. My biggest problem was that the speech before was by Malcolm Rifkind, who is experienced and a barrister.

Basically pour gentle scorn on Burns, who was an appalling womaniser,but do quote him, for some reason the Scots love it, and a have a few soft digs at the ladies. I talked about my wife's handbag and its ability to turn into a Bermuda triangle. You could see men and women in the audience nodding.

Don't be rude, poke fun.

Good luck, and leave the drinking till afterwards
Monday 17 January 2011 8.42pm
We are here tonight to celebrate that great Jewish poet Rabbi Burns (That's a joke)
Tuesday 18 January 2011 4.23pm
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if Tesco's or Asda sell Haggis?
I've not had time to check yet but would fancy a wee solitary haggis on burns night.
Tuesday 18 January 2011 11.22pm
don't know but Greensmiths in Lower Marsh will order it for you
Wednesday 19 January 2011 7.46pm
I am sure that someone recites the poem - Wee timorous beastie... and uses a dagger to stab the haggis at the line gush forward the entrails... or somethin similar

if everyone is force fed whisky i think it will be a riotous occasion no matter what
Wednesday 19 January 2011 8.11pm
mrman wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if Tesco's or Asda sell Haggis?
I've not had time to check yet but would fancy a wee solitary haggis on burns night.

Asda old Kent road had them last week
Thursday 20 January 2011 11.53am
Someone has to toast the lassies as I recall.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network