Where can I get some tomato plants in SE1 please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.12am
As part of our aim to rebrand our bit of Southbankside as North Surbiton, Mrs I and I (in a Good Life meets roots and culture way) are on the lookout for a local centre of horicultural expertise whence we could furnish our broad open fields (read v small balcony) with crops for the summer.

In other words: does anyone know where we can get a few tomato plants, a few strawberry plants, a cucumber or two, as well as seeds to grow e.g. peas, salads, radish?

We'll only have room for a few of each type, and so I really want to find somewhere that will sell some alternative to the more commercial (and tasteless) varieties.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom and Barbara

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Jon
Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.27am
surprisingly (or not if it's true that they do sell everything you could possibly want or need), Tesco sell packets of seeds.

probably usless information given that you want more flavoursome varieties, not just the normal hardy sorts. also B&Q sell plants (which I'm sure you already knew)

there is a chap who sell guinea pigs, rabbits, and horse manure, just opposite the garage on, I think, St James st (or rd), just off OK rd, opposite B&Q. He probably doesn't sell what you want, but will amost certainly know someone who does.

having just re-read what I've written, this post actually offers very little help at all, but there you go.....
Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.44am
If you can bear leaving SE1 and are prepared for a bit of a journey, then go to Crewes Hill just past Enfield.
Or much more local B&Q on OK road has a pretty good garden section but to be honest I'm not 100% sure if they've got a great selection of veg.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.48am
it's the thought that counts Jon. Thanks

Wednesday 21 April 2004 9.57am
The closest place I know is the Docklands Garden Centre - which is just by Limehouse DLR. I think their stuff is a little pricey, but the quality is very good and the staff are very helpful.

http://www.docklandsgardencentre.co.uk/

Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.22am
OKR B&Q will do you if the plants have only just come in. In general their plants are so scruffy & ancient that you'd be better off not bothering!

Lidl are selling seeds at 29p per packet. Quite who their target market is, I cannot imagine - most people who shop there don't have gardens! Thompson & Morgan will sell you quality seeds from their website.

Personally, if going to the effort of growing your own vegetables, I should pay a premium for a decent and well bred packet of seeds from Thompson & Morgan. 'Moneymaker' tomato plants which you will get from B&Q are just too tasteless. Grow baby tomatoes for best flavour imo. I cannot find anybody selling tomato plants mail order on a quick search, but if you plant some seeds pretty sharpish you won't be too late for this year. Remember to keep them well watered!

There's a very expensive garden centre at World's End, King's Road.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.26am
We've just (re-?)read the social thread. Don't know why he bothered giving myself this advice when he knew it already.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.43am
Thanks Harriet.

(Didn't quite realise it was North of the river when I called - but these fears have to be conquered sometime).

Called them up. V nice man. Said they normally don't have too much variety, but they go to market every Sat and if you want anything particular then to ask in advance and they'll get it.

Apparently we should leave it a week or so for planting out, so that gives us time to put an order in for next weekend.

Now, all I need is a few suggestions for the tastiest tommies.

Any growers out there with favourites for flavour?

Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.44am
IR, I can thoroughly recommend growing a variety of cherry tomato called Sweet 100. These are wonderful, but never eat the same variety on offer in the supermarkets, these are astringent watery horrors.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.49am
My first port of call would be a few hundred yards over the border into SE11 to Roots and Shoots in Walnut Tree Walk

Plant sales page

There is also usually a giant plant sale when Lambeth Community Care centre opens for the National Gardens Scheme (think it is 29-30 May this year which might be a bit late) and there have been tomato plants in the past.

Failing this You could venture south on a bus to the following garden centres in Southwark...

Dulwich Garden Centre
20-22, Grove Vale East Dulwich
London
SE22 8EF
Tel: 020 8299 1089

Dulwich Village Pot Garden
12b, Red Post Hill
London
SE21 7BX
Tel: 020 7978 8310

Plant Nation
2, Upland Rd
London
SE22 9EE
Tel: 020 8299 0444

Nice Stems Ltd
Unit 4 53, North Cross Rd
London
SE22 9ET
Tel: 020 8693 5333
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: