Fabric Shops

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 18 January 2011 1.31pm
Can anyone recommend any good ones in the area? Reasonably priced?

I started my dress making course (at Oh Sew Brixton - its very good and worth the bus trip!) and need to start buying!
Tuesday 18 January 2011 1.35pm
Can't remember details, but if you do a search you'll find some answers on here in old threads. Mrs I likes one towards B'sea/Cla'm

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 January 2011 1.37pm
Cheers Ivanhoe - did a check and the thread is from two years ago and mentions Walworth road but people Ive asked arent sure its still open. Was going to head to lavender hill in clapham as it was recommended to me and I think that must be one that Mrs I has recommended...
Tuesday 18 January 2011 1.52pm
Berwick St.W1. Several there. The Cloth Shop, Borovicks, etc. A lot is for theatrical costume but there's plenty of "ordinary" too. Also, stalls on the market in the street itself that sell cloth.

John Lewis used to be the place to go but after their revamp, the fabric department is a shadow of its former self: a travesty; not sure I'll ever forgive them!
Tuesday 18 January 2011 3.18pm
These two establishments are good - not local and someetimes can be quite expensive but worth a visit.

MacCulloch & Wallace

Tuesday 18 January 2011 3.22pm
Although it's a bit of a trek of a bus journey the best variety and often cheapest fabric shops are on Goldhawk Road. You can get the 148 from Elephant all the way to Shepherds Bush/White City.
I'd usually use 'Tony's Textiles' - I've bought lots of faric from them for my clothes making course. They are allways jolly and often offer a discount if you say you are a student!

Good Luck with the sewing!
Tuesday 18 January 2011 3.28pm
I know quite a few costume makers and they often use Rolls and Rems. There's one in Lewisham.
Thursday 20 January 2011 12.56am
Is the one on East St still there? It used to be called Barney's Textile Centre, and when I made my own clothes I got my material there.
I would recommend Rolls and Rems at Lewisham, they're very cheap and they sell patterns and DMC embroidery thread as well.
There's also a fabric shop in Peckham - Blenheim Grove - called Jeans smart fabrics.
Thursday 20 January 2011 10.29am
Deptford Market used to have some lovely stalls for fabrics, 53 bus drops you off.
Thursday 20 January 2011 1.24pm
May I suggest Crecent Trading off Commercial Street. It mainly works in the ends of line from Saville Row but they also have ladies fabrics. I got some cracking Grey Mohair which I am using for some home cushion covers just last week.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: