Southwark - a socially divided borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 January 2011 5.29pm
According to the news story at Southwark Lib Dems warn of Socially Segregated Borough, "Lib Dems in Southwark have warned that social housing tenants in the north of the borough could be faced with rents three times higher than council levels if Government plans to allow social landlords to charge up to 80 per cent of market rate go ahead."

What a dastardly government plan. The Lib Dems should oppose it forthrightly. Perhaps they could write to their MP and get him to oppose it, too.

Can someone remind me which parties are in government? Oh yes, the Lib Dems and the Tories.
Friday 21 January 2011 9.08am
Social engineering is a very devisive topic at the best of times....and I really think any politician I have ever known of (central or local government) has never been intellectually capable of offereing any sort of real soloution to this....apart from what is usually outdated and petty dogma. I'm not advocating free markets all round but safety nets should be exactly that.
Friday 21 January 2011 1.50pm
Yes, laughed at this myself.
Friday 21 January 2011 7.30pm
brilliant...people are generally a bit richer in dulwich and borough than peckham...genius. give the man a nobel prize
Saturday 22 January 2011 9.09am
The big question, I think, is - in such a socially divided borough, where would the Waitrose shop go? In the middle? Or would we have to hope for two?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: