Great Dover Street Post Office in Costcutter: beware overcharging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 21 January 2011 10.17am
This Post Office is overcharging.

Twice I have asked for the cheapest service and been given a more expensive one, and once they started doing a Special Delivery strip without me asking. I decided to give them one more chance yesterday.

I weighed my item before I went, so knew it would be 4.40 by Standard Parcels, 5.90 by First Class. Asked for the cheapest service, and after confirming there's nothing valuable, and I don't want it there tomorrow or signed for, I was quoted 5.90.

Me: And that is the cheapest way to send it?
PO: Yes.
Me: What about Standard Parcel? That's 1.50 cheaper.
PO: OK fine.
Me: Fine? Why didn't you tell me about that service? I asked for the cheapest.
PO: Most customers want it to go quicker [SP takes 3 days, FC takes 1 day]
Me: I already said I dont want it there tomorrow. I specifically asked for the cheapest. You are overcharging.

Anyway, I told him off and said this was the third time this has happened, and that I would complain and post something here.

I have also had this happen (just once) at the other Costcutter in Southwark Bridge Road !
Friday 21 January 2011 2.42pm
I can't think what benefit there would be to them in inflating the price of your transaction.

Oh, wait, yes I can:

postoffice.co.uk wrote:
A [Post Office] franchise can be a lucrative new source of income. Revenue you earn is based on your sales figures and, while there is no guaranteed minimum, as your sales increase so does the level of remuneration you receive.
Post Office - Franchise opportunities
Friday 21 January 2011 4.47pm
Thanks. I rest my case.
Friday 21 January 2011 7.38pm
I have had no end of problems using this post office. The staff are at best unhelpful and you can never hear anything they are saying! I have several times had packages redirected there and they go missing for days on end (two weeks in one case). In addition, I posted two packages from there are both went missing. Obviously I am not saying this is definitely their fault but I have noticed that when you leave a package with them it often sits out on the counter (customer side) for ages until the pile is so big they have to open the hatch and bring them all through. It would be very easy to steal a parcel from the pile.
Friday 21 January 2011 7.43pm
Yes - the same happens at the PO on Jamaica Road. You get a parcel weighed and pay, they pass through the stamps, you stick them on and are asked to "leave the parcel at the hatch" - which is customer side. Some time later, when there is a big enough pile to make the effort worth while, the hatch is opened and parcels rescued. I always wait around until the magic hatch is opened - which can be several minutes.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 10.56am
I complained to the Post Office after posting the problems above, and was assured that someone went in to do training. But a year later they are still overcharging. The same people run the Post Office at Southwark Bridge Road, and they are at it too.

I send packages every Saturday morning, and I always have to faff about with my packages for 10 minutes at the hatch. I am wise to them now, but I get to hear them ripping off other customers behind me.

They will not give you the full range of options for sending a package, only the few most expensive. It is clearly their policy and staff are surely instructed to do it.

Shameful, and shameless. If you want the least expensive service, do your own research and ask for it by name.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 11.32am
Is it possible to print your own postage now once you've weighed your parcel yourself? I use that post office, and am a bit annoyed if what you're saying is true (I've no reason to doubt your account).

I'd rather do that, and then take it to their 'drop-off' point i.e. outside their hatch where anyone could nick it.

I know you can't do that with special delivery. I really miss having a proper post office.
Wednesday 1 February 2012 12.13pm
Is this run by the same people who run the convenience store (i.e. same staff/management)? If so, I can understand -- asking them to do something as simple as putting money on an Oyster card is a heroic task.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: