Southwark Tube Cycle Dock

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 January 2011 2.33pm
As reported: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5068

Seems a great shame that this valuble property should be used for this, I guess the site to be half finished for ever.

Have TfL ever tried to get a partner? For all the fuss they made about the desire for a similar air rights development over Camden Town you'd think they would make more effort. Surely for the right price a developer could be found?
Wednesday 26 January 2011 2.46pm
I guess the thinking is that even if a developer started working up a proposal today, nothing will actually be built for at least three years and if/when a scheme is approved the developer will fund the relocation of the docking station as part of the S106.

So they might as well get some use out of the land in the meantime.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Wednesday 26 January 2011 9.42pm
Living next to Southwark tube I'd rather never have a large building there and I'm very pleased to have a Boris bike stand right next door.
Wednesday 26 January 2011 9.50pm
Look out! Speaking as someone with experience of this from the Albert Embankment area if this is allowed to go ahead you can forget being able to walk safely on the pavements in the area especially during the rush hour!
Thursday 27 January 2011 3.54pm
No doubt there would be benifits Zoe - but that's publicly owned land that should be being put to use in some productive way; its disgraceful if they haven't even tried to develop it, and I'd rather not have an important gateway for Bankside look like a building site for ever. If they didn't plan on developing it they should be doing something useful with it, but there's ample room for bike docks round there - it's not like the pavements aren't wide enough.
Thursday 27 January 2011 6.32pm
Think you will be ok Zoe. My understanding is the station structure was (mistakenly?) designed and constructed so that it wouldn't be able to withstand the structural forces of any significant development above the station... To retrofit is not impossible but horrendously complex and expensive, not to retrofit would only allow such a small development as to not really be financially viable.
Zoe
Thursday 27 January 2011 7.51pm
That' what I've heard as well, so hopefully we won;t up with a Shard next to us.

I think more could be done with the site, not just Boris bikes, some seating and nice greenery would really improve it.
Wednesday 2 February 2011 12.33pm
Cheers Jonny, helpful.

Yes, if it's staying like that for ever it would be good to get it sorted out properly.
Monday 28 February 2011 1.26pm
Planning permission has now been granted for this docking station

Monday 16 May 2011 3.14pm
Work has started - they are now demolishing the hoarding around the station

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: