Great Dover St/Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 26 January 2011 2.50pm
The junction to Long Lane is closed, two lorries parked uo and police present.
Thursday 27 January 2011 12.21am
It looked like a chemical spill.
Saturday 29 January 2011 11.19am
There has been several serious accidents at this junction so therefore maybe its time to widen the junction or re organise the flow of traffic ?
Saturday 29 January 2011 8.40pm
There was a big oil spill there on Wednesday. I saw the oil on the road and a Council team was using high pressure jets to clear it away and then they put down some sand
Monday 31 January 2011 9.27pm
This junction strikes me as incredibly badly designed. I'm used to it as a pedestrian. A couple of days ago I attempted it (twice) as a motorist; I'm not a frequent driver, so maybe it's lack of experience of this junction, but the relationship of the different flows of traffic seemed really poorly thought out.
Zoe
Monday 31 January 2011 9.59pm
I agree that it's really badly designed, and it always involves jockying for position when you're driving, which is so dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians.

I'd support removing all the barriers to make it more pedestrian friendly, and introducing a diagonal crossing.

Something also needs to be done about the left turn onto BHS from Long Lane, the green man crossing comes on just as the traffic lights on LL turn green, so people set off at speed and suddenly hit a red light as they go around the corner, I've seen quite a few shunts where people obviously weren't expecting to have to stop.

That whole junction is just bad!
Tuesday 1 February 2011 3.15pm
Also, the filters over the traffic lights make it practically impossible to tell what colour they are!
Tuesday 1 February 2011 3.27pm
As a motorist, pedestrian and occasional cyclist I can say this is appalingly badly designed when there is no reason. There are fairly major flows of traffic in 1 direction at any one time and the way the lanes are divided up and given left and right turn arrows doesn't allow motorists to necessarily make the right decisions on positioning themselves and is very confusing then for all users. Lights changing ast different times adds to the confusion. Part of TfL's unstated campaign to make driving sooooooooo complicated in London to try to restrict use?
Zoe
Thursday 3 February 2011 10.00pm
I was at B&B community council tonight and Cllr Noakes told us that they'll be holding a meeting with TFL and other stakeholders on BHS, which is great news.

It'll probably be 10 years and a lot of rowing yet, but it's good that something is kicking off.
Friday 4 February 2011 6.20am
i think the road layout is pretty old...if not as old as chaucer it certainly predates tfl! i can't work out zoe's comment on turning left into bhs from long lane...there is no left turn off long lane to bhs!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: