Drunks/Meth heads in John Harvard Library and local parks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 28 January 2011 2.43pm
What on earth is going on with the large number of drunks/meth heads that seem to favour congregating in the John Harvard Library, and local parks?

Myself and other local parents have had numerous run ins with these people, and it is becoming more and more of a problem it seems.

They are often found congregating in Little Dorrit or Long Lane park, sitting on the edge of the children's play areas, either sobering up or drinking. the kids fidn this quite intimidating, and it obviously sets aprents a little on edge. And more and more so they seem to group together in the Johh Harvard Library, spreading themselves out amongst the tables, or sleeping in the chairs by the window.

There was a worrying incident recently causing great alarm in John Harvard Library with one in particular acting very strangely around the school children in teh kids area. He was walkign very slowly back and forth, opening one side of his coat. He then tried to enter the children's area but a parent prevented him from doing so and reported him to the Library staff, who simply said they were 'keeping an eye on them'

Can anyone explain to me where they have suddenly all come from? It seems to be a recent problem, with 5 or 6 of them at any one time. They are quite intimidating, always drunk/out of it, and many of them speak no english so trying to communciate with them is tricky!
Friday 28 January 2011 4.17pm
Hi RooRee

Sent you a PM
Friday 28 January 2011 10.07pm
Walked pass the library last week and saw two facing the window sleeping away and not a pretty site!! I did at the time mention to my partner expressing my concern about young children being in the library at the same time... as as parent I would be seriously worried!!

Obviously this is not a one off and as RooRee mentions this is a regular gathering. I am more then happy to pop in next time when I pass by and will approach the staff to see whats being done to keep them out!! Obviously they are not there to read or improve on their reading skills.
Saturday 29 January 2011 9.14am
Dont really know how you can stop them congregating in the park unless there are by-laws to stop drinking,anti-social behaviour etc. But why have the library staff not taken action? just to keep an eye on them snoring seems daft, are they making any pretence to peruse the books>are they just coming in to keeo warm reading the papers etc?

The longer no action is taken here the worse it will become, how about having posters up in many languages stating what they can and can't do? if that fails security guards!
Saturday 29 January 2011 10.56pm
I agree - its not on - particularly around children. I don't rate the staff in there myself but safety is inifnitely more upsetting than just poor customer service.

There seemed to be a short hiatus over christmas but it would appear the regular begging crowd around the vicinity of Borough and London Bridge have returned.

Does anyone else notice this? When you come from the tube youre accosted, then should you try to go into the Tesco on Long Lane there are men asking there too.

I'm not against giving to people who need it at all, but these men are there every day, and to a young woman in the dark it can be incredibly intimidating.
Tuesday 1 February 2011 12.35pm
meth heads? ?
Tuesday 1 February 2011 5.02pm
boomshake wrote:
meth heads? ?

Chrystal Meth
Tuesday 1 February 2011 5.15pm
more likely methadone, used as a substitute / cheaper alternative to heroin
Tuesday 1 February 2011 5.46pm
boomshake wrote:
meth heads? ?

Yonks ago the term 'Meth heads' or 'Methers' was used when referring to drunk tramps because they used to drink methalated spirits. Yuk! and they used to smell of it too.
Wednesday 2 February 2011 9.46am
Meth heads to me means the same eileen
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: