Yet another Tesco!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
ChloeB Monday 7 February 2011 10.05pm
It seems they are sprouting this week. First I notice them stacking the shelves Great Suffolk Street and then driving home today they are starting to stock new shelves at Borough Road and Southwark Bridge Road. It is worse than a fungus.

Are we ever going to get any variety? More Sainsbury's, the prayed for Waitrose ..... a Co-op? It seems Tesco is taking over. Why is planning being granted?

Luke Monday 7 February 2011 10.54pm
I saw from a post by Lang Rabbie on this forum ages ago here that following a change in the law in 2005 planning permission is not required to change use from restaurants, cafes, pubs and takeways to shops - so this cannot be controlled by planners. And one obvious reason why pubs are closing so rapidly.
Colinio Monday 7 February 2011 10.57pm
It's not possible to favour one supermarket operator over another within planning decisions. To the planners a shop is a shop.

Probably good that this long rather empty road has some street-facing activity on it beyond one pub a takeaway and a restaurant.
Boroman Wednesday 9 February 2011 12.07am
Normally I'm no Tesco cheerleader. But west of the A3 they've nothing this side of the river till beyond Kennington Cross.

There's a Sainsbury's on Borough High Street itself, but that's it till near Waterloo. Apart from the M&S on Southwark Street there's no other big-chain presence that I can think of as I sit here off Southwark Bridge Road.

Instead, this slice of Southwark has too long been captive to Costcutter. Stock poor to middling, staff indifferent to rude, prices a whack above the odds. Marauders of Tesco, do your worst!
Kory Thursday 10 February 2011 9.18pm
Apparently there was a kick off between the traders in the local shops/cafes at The Borough end of GT Southwark St and somebody with a sandwich boaed/notice directing people to the new Tesco on Borough Rd , yesterday. Police and local newspapers on site.....
ChloeB Thursday 10 February 2011 11.36pm
I admit Boroman, that the Costcutter is admittedly a law unto itself. Living near it - ever since the Borough HS post office closed, I am forced to use it. Not by choice. MY sympathies are with you and I could see how the arrival of Tesco is seen as a savior.
Boroman Friday 11 February 2011 2.12pm
Thanks ChloeB, there seem to be several Costcutters in the area, not all with that name out front but with the same produce, such as their inedible "Heritage" pies etc. Until now they've in effect had a local monopoly.

Kory, presume you mean Great Suffolk St, where I saw a board yesterday urging people to support our local traders. I do, and can recommend the locksmith, dry cleaner and bakery. But the food outlets start shutting soon after lunchtime, and by evening there's only the pub and chippie.

It was insensitive of Tesco if they put someone on that corner yesterday. But the local shops need to rethink what they offer and when. For a start, how about one late shopping evening a week in which the whole street - butcher, florist, caffs and all - takes part?
dronid Friday 11 February 2011 2.56pm
The only place I'd like to see one of the mini supermarkets would be on Tooley Street. Everywhere else is pretty pricy for not much... and it'd cut down the queues in Marks'.
beetroot Friday 11 February 2011 2.59pm
If the Tesco takes all the Southwark Bridge Road Costcutter customers couldn't we be in danger of losing the Post Office?
SJS22 Friday 11 February 2011 7.45pm
I am so pleased Tescos has arrived at Great Suffolk St, I am fed up with M&S.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions