Yet another Tesco!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
nelson_ Friday 11 February 2011 7.53pm
Just checked out Gt Suffolk St Tesco and am well pleased! Nice and tidy and loads of space. Much better selection than I thought they would have. Seemed to be mostly students from next door there. And the pub across the road very busy - a dead bit of the area come to life. So nice to be able to get milk that does not go off immediately after opening just around the corner :)
Inked Mink Friday 11 February 2011 11.24pm
Hurrah ! finally a Tesco close to Rotherham Walk .How this small thing has made me breathe a sigh of relief . No more having to pick through nearly rotting onions , sprouting garlic and dried wilting coriander all for premium prices from costcutters on The Cut . And no more dodging " spare some change " brigade . And just when im moving back to Cornwall .
browsingid Sunday 13 February 2011 6.36pm
dronid wrote:
The only place I'd like to see one of the mini supermarkets would be on Tooley Street. Everywhere else is pretty pricy for not much... and it'd cut down the queues in Marks'.

Your wish is granted. A Tesco is moving into 7 More London. Not sure when it is due to open, but would expect it sometime over the next few months.
LouiseW Monday 14 February 2011 11.41am
I never thought I would be pleased to see a Tescos but have to to admit I am over the moon. The Sainsburys at Waterloo must be the worst in the UK and Costcutters is so overpriced with a rubbis range of goods - weirdly large selection of cheddar cheese tho. At last somewhere to get provisions from locally!
Pops Monday 14 February 2011 3.09pm
Quote:
Your wish is granted. A Tesco is moving into 7 More London. Not sure when it is due to open, but would expect it sometime over the next few months.

Interesting, I work at MLP and haven't seen any signs around.
nomad Monday 14 February 2011 7.15pm
browsingid wrote:
dronid wrote:
The only place I'd like to see one of the mini supermarkets would be on Tooley Street. Everywhere else is pretty pricy for not much... and it'd cut down the queues in Marks'.

Thank goodness,competition for M&S hopefully, which appears to have gone downhill, very expensive, especially for fruit and veg.
TRACEYR Monday 14 February 2011 9.20pm
Hooray for Tesco! As a resident of Nelson Square it is great to shop there as opposed to the overpriced shop next to 'Travelodge' in Union Street :)
prtclarke Tuesday 15 February 2011 1.22pm
Yes, hooray for Tesco, I'm happy that the area is finally getting some more services in, especially on GSS.

But ... can we please continue to support the local food sellers as well please? Go 1/4 mile down Gt Suffolk St and you have Suffolk Meats which sells much better meat than Tesco, and Eric's Greengrocers, which has much fresher veg.

I don't mean to be preachy. We all deserve a Tesco. But from experience, the local shops are much easier to lose than to rebuild (when was the last time you saw a new independent grocer open?) and we have a collective responsibility to preserve this local heritage unless we want Southwark looking like every other identikit high street.
ADT Tuesday 15 February 2011 1.29pm
Gt Suffolk Street butchers is excellent. It closes too early for me to get in on my way home though - I like the idea in earlier post about a weekly late opening night for the shops along there. No idea how that works into the usual small shop owner's business routine though - would it be efficient?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions