Yet another Tesco!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
suziq Tuesday 15 February 2011 1.59pm
I work near GGS and use the butcher for all my meat and the quality is excellent. The late night opening sounds like a good idea, but as the butcher and the greengrocer are, essentially, one-man bands, I'm not sure how it would work in practice. If you have to be up by 3.30am to get to the wholesale market, staying open until, say, 8.00pm the night before presents problems I would imagine. That said, next time I'm in Suffolk Meats or Eric's, I'll mention it and see what they say.
dronid Wednesday 16 February 2011 3.38pm
nomad wrote:
browsingid wrote:
dronid wrote:
The only place I'd like to see one of the mini supermarkets would be on Tooley Street. Everywhere else is pretty pricy for not much... and it'd cut down the queues in Marks'.

Your wish is granted. A Tesco is moving into 7 More London. Not sure when it is due to open, but would expect it sometime over the next few months.

Thank goodness,competition for M&S hopefully, which appears to have gone downhill, very expensive, especially for fruit and veg.

I've had a look around the web and can't see any references to Tesco moving in there. Can you let me know your source as we'd be keen to find out more?
andrewharris Tuesday 22 February 2011 3.59pm
The real scandal about supermarket provision in SE1 is the promise by the developers of Tabard Square to include a large supermarket in the scheme. This was to address the fact that the closest large supermarket is the Old Kent Road and difficult to access for those without cars (and indeed those with cars). I believe this promise was a key reason for planning permission being given to what is quite a high-rise and bulky scheme for the area.

In the end only the small Tesco local opened and the large retail space remains empty (as indeed does the restaurant space in the award winning 'public' space). Given the housing crisis in the borough you always wonder passing these sort of empty units, what more imaginative uses could have been dreamed up by the planners....

To compound the matter the Tesco local ain't great with minimal staff operating tills (and those that do busily trying to reach their daily target of customers)
urbanite Tuesday 22 February 2011 4.31pm
The problem as always is not just with the developer....supermarkets baulked at the idea of putting in a large retail operation as there was no parking provision on site....so the developer is left with a pretty useless empty shell and the COUNCIL just walks away without any criticism. All very well and good Southwark Council telling everybody what they need and don't need and what they should and shouldn't build but if in the end they don't understand the economics of operating a business on the sites they hold so much sway over then they should find some new people to work in their Planning Department.
se1lurker Tuesday 22 February 2011 6.45pm
andrewharris wrote:
In the end only the small Tesco local opened and the large retail space remains empty (as indeed does the restaurant space in the award winning 'public' space). Given the housing crisis in the borough you always wonder passing these sort of empty units, what more imaginative uses could have been dreamed up by the planners....

As urbanite has said, they marketted the site to death to all the major supermarkets, and none wanted to install a large store. The reality is the supermarket chains only want to put "Locals" or "Expresses" within central London.
James Hatts Tuesday 22 February 2011 7.05pm
That's not quite true - look at Tesco Metro in Cheapside, Sainsbury's Central in Holborn and others - all medium-size stores with no parking

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
urbanite Wednesday 23 February 2011 9.13am
But huge passing trade in those areas...Long Land/Empire Square just doesn't have that sort of footfall passing it by so it needs parking to work.
James Hatts Wednesday 23 February 2011 10.32am
Indeed - but let's not pretend that car-free supermarkets (bigger than convenience store format) are impossible in zone 1

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
eddglynn Wednesday 23 February 2011 10.41am
Tesco Cheapside sells microwave lunches, sandwiches and wine. And not much else. You would struggle to do a weekly shop there.
urbanite Wednesday 23 February 2011 2.51pm
James...sorry to dissent but a full service large supermarket sells lots of things...and to get those things home you need a car if you're doing a substantial shop....this site will never work...as is shown by the complete lack of interest by all major supermarkets....its parking or nothing for sites like these...otherwise its micro markets...therfore without parking they are impossible.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions