Yet another Tesco!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
James Hatts Thursday 24 February 2011 2.36pm
To be pedantic, the space earmarked for a supermarket at Empire Square is now largely occupied by Soho Gyms (the remainder being the pitiful Tesco Express) - hence the substantial loading bays originally provided on Tabard Street.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
aoibhneas Thursday 24 February 2011 4.47pm
Probably a fairly self-evident point to make, but it's consumers, not supermarkets, who decide how we want to shop and, by extension, what kind of outlets get opened.

Admittedly, the picture's complicated by consumers' decision-making being affected by habit underpinned by heavily-marketed concepts like 'convenience'. But ultimately the choice is ours. And in the big picture the market follows the money.
boroughpaul Thursday 24 February 2011 4.49pm
i stand corrected...i always thought the big open space on Long Lane was intended as a supermarket
nelson_ Thursday 12 July 2012 11.49pm
Aghh, now Tesco in Great Suffolk Street has gone almost completely self service. I think there is only one manned till left now. And the self service tills are much smaller than before, with minimal space to put your stuff and next to impossible to use with your own bag now. Annoying, but probably that suits most people who only want to buy a sandwich or a chocolate bar..
Zoe Friday 13 July 2012 6.42am
We're old fashioned Nelson, we like a till with a person!

I actually dislike self service as I find it takes longer than a staffed till, particularly for loose items like rolls, as it takes so long to find the item. Sadly, round here it's hard to vote with our feet.
suziq Friday 13 July 2012 11.17am
I've found in the Great Suffolk Street store, as with M&S on Southwark Street, that if you ask for a till to be opened they're (usually) happy to oblige.

For some reason, the self-service tills at the Tesco metro spend more time saying 'assistance needed' than they spend working properly. So my advice is, if you want to buy more than a handful of items, insist on a member of staff serving you.
nelson_ Friday 13 July 2012 9.06pm
I did use the ones before sometimes, as you could have your basket on one side and pack your (own) bag on the other side. But these new ones now are much narrower, you put your basket underneath and there is a tiny area where you then have to put your shopping.. so fiddly if you have more than three items! yes, will be queuing for the tills in the future. But weird that they should respond to the arrival of Sainsbury's with reduced service! I think it is not a very well run Tesco's anyway, the manager is a miserable man!
Zoe Saturday 14 July 2012 4.57pm
In the Sainsburys today I tried to use self service and it took forever to scan and finally wanted a member of staff when none were around (they always want a member of staff, I think there is something wrong with the scales).

I put my food back in the basket and went and queued, was out in about 90seconds. Grrrrrr, stupid system! Nice jammy dodgers though.
boroughbloke Saturday 14 July 2012 11.01pm
After a short holiday I returned and found that the Tesco in Borough Road that had excellent real people serving has converted to mostly self service tills. This morning as no less than two members of staff struggled with an "unexpected items in the bagging area" or whatever I asked when someone would serve me. They pointed to another self-service till at which point I dropped the basket (oh whoops about that bottle) and sugested that if they wanted to offer me a discount for serving myself then I might be interested, but for the moment I'll go somewhere else.
pros Saturday 14 July 2012 11.55pm
a comedian had a routine about this (can't remember who it was any more), saying something along the lines he never really wanted to do any voluntary work for any of the supermarkets so maybe they should be paying the customers :)
come to think of it, if we applied the same thinking across the board, things could be so much more interesting?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions