Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre to endure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 16
Tuesday 8 February 2011 2.06pm
What a surprise!

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5090

We could get a Waitrose in there then, to compete with the one at Oakmayne. And can we have the 2nd hand bookshop back? Will E&C become a shoppers' mecca?
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.20pm
Well blow me down...where will this all end?
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.39pm
I don't think this changes anything does it?

St M have always been intent on squeezing ever last penny out of the centre without spending anything on it - Southwark and LendLease have always been intent on demolishing it.

The framework agreement for the redevelopment and the master-plan both require demolition and set out that if St M don't want to play ball then the site gets CPAed and they get their money and a cheery fairwell from all.

Where they get the idea that its 98% let is what confuses me - almost the whole top floor is empty.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.47pm
A decent shopping wouldn't be a bad idea. Depends on what their idea of "extensive refurb" is. Hopefully not a lick of paint and some potted plants!

What I want to know if when the big adjoining tenements are coming down?
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.54pm
Tenements? You mean the Heygate? Starts next week, continues to 2015.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.59pm
The entire programme of taking down the shopping centre was dependent upon the new commercial centre (aka Oakmayne Plaza) being ready, so that the community wouldnt be without anywhere to shop. since OPlaza seems to be far from being completed, even if it DOES kick off in Feb., I think the shopping centre is going to be there for a while yet.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 5.42pm
LendLease are talking of 4 possible options re: the shopping centre

1) LL buys shopping centre from St Modwens
2) LL and St M develop it as joint venture
3) St Modwen's develops it
4) Compulsory Purchase supported by the Council

CPO seems the cheapest option for LL to make big profits at The Elephant.

BTW The LL story at the Olympic Village development in Stratford beggars belief.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23496987-olympic-village-runs-out-of-cash.do

Strange also because David Higgins, a former LL Managing Director then Chief Exec, became the Chief Executive Designate of the Olympic Delivery Authority from 2005 to late last year. Funny old world.

I wonder how much LL will make at The Elephant?
Tuesday 8 February 2011 6.37pm
jamesup wrote:
Tenements? You mean the Heygate? Starts next week, continues to 2015.
He's obviously a Scot ;-)
Tuesday 8 February 2011 6.38pm
The article you posted was three years ago..I imagine they've got their ducks in a row by now, but after the Wembley Stadium debacle I was rather surprised that anyone took a flyer on LL.
Wednesday 9 February 2011 11.53am
Haha, for me 'Tenements' brings to mind something far more romantic than the Heygate.

I'd be willing to shop on Walworth Road/Borough High Street/the Cut etc. for a good while if it meant they would get on with it, though I realise I'm blessed with no mobility problems that would make that harder for others. Morrisons (with a stop at east street) really does thrash Tesco anyway.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: