Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre to endure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16
Friday 8 April 2011 10.53am
Nuke it.
It must be the most horrible place in London.
Friday 8 April 2011 11.05am
I must say, I've been to more pleasant shopping centres in a number of third-world countries, including Zimbabwe.

This is Zone 1 in London, the richest capital in Europe?
Friday 8 April 2011 11.25am
Cllr John replied on twitter to my furious outburst -

"no cave in, but a chance to get some transformational change of shopping centre 10 yrs ahead of timetable."
Friday 8 April 2011 11.54am
What's not to like about the Shopping Centre? It has Tescos, Smiths, the Hardware Store, Boots and numerous small shops and the market outside. It has fast food and all sorts of cafes and restaurants. It's cleaner than it's ever been before too.

People who want some fancy shopping place that reflects London being one of the richest capitals in Europe must misunderstand who uses the shopping centre and why what's inside it is there in the first place.

I miss Tlon bookshop though!
Friday 8 April 2011 12.25pm
At this point I will reserve judgement until I see the revised plans. My priority, personaly, is that there is a good shopping area, that the below ground gutter which the centre sits is filled in/removed and that the setting is clean and fresh. I donít care if part of the existing structure is used. They could take the roof and walls off and expand the structure to the pavementside and clad it in glass. It could look spectacular (and possibly better than Oakmayne-Plaza-to-be). And if itís here in a couple of years rather than ten Iíd be grateful.
Friday 8 April 2011 12.34pm
dronid wrote:
At this point I will reserve judgement until I see the revised plans. My priority, personaly, is that there is a good shopping area, that the below ground gutter which the centre sits is filled in/removed and that the setting is clean and fresh. I donít care if part of the existing structure is used. They could take the roof and walls off and expand the structure to the pavementside and clad it in glass. It could look spectacular (and possibly better than Oakmayne-Plaza-to-be). And if itís here in a couple of years rather than ten Iíd be grateful.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Pedestrian access needs massive improvement though if it were to work as a reno, as one of the huge downfalls of the centre is that the area is traffic-dominated. One has to negotiate the awful subway system (and then end up in the gutter that you described) to access the centre. Improvements have been made with the removal of the southern roundabout and its new pedestrian crossings, but the Northern roundabout remains a large barrier. But yes, bring everything to ground level!

What about Hannibal House?
Friday 8 April 2011 12.39pm
Exactly Merlin Rouge. Sloane Street it ain't. Nor was meant to be. But it suits me just fine, but perhaps I'm just undescerning..
Friday 8 April 2011 2.07pm
Comments from Cll Fiona Colley, via Val Shawcross (with my thanks to her for getting them so quickly!)

"Peter's comments were oral at Wednesday's Council Assembly.Essentially it looks likely now that rather than demolishing the whole of the shopping centre the core of the building will be retained with the exterior extended and remodelled. Having seen some initial architects drawings, you simply wouldn't recognise the place. We certainly aren't talking about a lick of paint (though it is going to get that too, in blue, but just as a short term step as it's looking so awful right now).

The big benefits of retaining the core of the building would be that this is a far more cost effective solution (and therefore actually a financially viable option, unlike wholesale demolition and rebuild),
it could be delivered far quicker (and given how long people have waited this is important too) and it is also more environmentally friendly to reuse the core rather than to completely demolish and rebuild.

However, it is also vital that the redevelopment/remodelling/refurbishment (whatever you like to call it) also meets the key regeneration objectives. It mustn't be just about a bigger and smarter shopping centre. We also want it to transform the area outside the centre, the appearance of the area, the transport interchanges for the buses and tube and in particular the over ground and pedestrian routes through the area.

We are particularly keen to punch routes through the railway arches at the rear of the centre (by the rail station) into the new Market Square currently under construction by Oakmayne and the redeveloped Heygate
area. I think there may be opportunities to open up several of the arches as new pedestrian routes. This will of course depend on the cooperation of Network Rail and on the outcome of forthcoming structural
surveys.

I can completely understand residents' concerns. Certainly I was very sceptical indeed when I first heard the suggestion that the centre might be refurbished rather than demolished. But now I've seen some of the ideas coming forward I think there is some really strong potential to it.

We are currently working on a legal agreement between ourselves, St Modwens and Lend Lease following which I hope that St Modwens will be in a position soon to bring forward some drawings of what they think could
be done. Hopefully when people see what can be done they will be reassured that we are in fact accelerating the regeneration, not selling out.'
Friday 8 April 2011 2.18pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Exactly Merlin Rouge. Sloane Street it ain't. Nor was meant to be. But it suits me just fine, but perhaps I'm just undescerning..

I don't care too much about the shopping, I find it useful now and I'm sure whatever comes will be useful. But I care so much (maybe too much) about fixing the urban fabric that this building slices through. The Masterplan was excellent as it opened up the space to pedestrian movement, compensating in part to the seven lanes of traffic on the other side, and linked in to Oakmaine and Heygate to reconnect the dead spaces of the area.

I want to live somewhere with pleasant outdoor space and active workable streets - that's what we were promised in this regeneration.

If they keep the building, we keep the footprint, the impermeable space, the crowded pavements and the private enclosure of what should be public space - in my mind that's a disaster.

We do unfortunately have to wait for them to come forward with what this all means, but that's not reason to not be shaking the tree for quality now - when they have finished their artists impressions it might be too late.
Friday 8 April 2011 3.04pm
And now I want to see the suggested plans! Get them out to the public as soon as possible! If nothing else we can spot any flaws before it's all moot!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 16

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: