Charles Dickens monument planned for Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 9 February 2011 12.25pm
Quote: The judges will be looking for work that is "inspiring and joyful" Why?
I'm not sure 'piazza' is the best description for that site.
How about Bill Sykes with his dog bullseye on a piece of string in keeping with Southwarks 19th century reputation.
You never see monuments to a baddie.
Wednesday 9 February 2011 2.59pm
I think you're absolutely right, phoney. They should be open to any interpretation of Dickens and Sykes and his dog is a great idea.

Will they invite several artists to put forward ideas?

The location would be ideal if it hadn't been so badly done. Bikes are churning up the grass again and the pace has crap drainage. Will they sort it out before unveiling the memorial?
Thursday 10 February 2011 3.24pm
Guide to Rochester Cathedral wrote:
In the south transept of Rochester Cathedral is a plain, almost mean, brass to Charles Dickens:
"Charles Dickens. Born at Portsmouth, seventh of February, 1812.

"Died at Gadshill Place, by Rochester, ninth of June, 1870.

"Buried in Westminster Abbey. To connect his memory with the scenes in which his earliest and latest years were passed, and with the associations of Rochester Cathedral and its neighbourhood, which extended over all his life, this tablet, with the sanction of the Dean and Chapter, is placed by his Executors."

This recalls the fact that the great novelist left special instructions in his will: "I conjure my friends on no account to make me the subject of any monument, memorial, or testimonial whatever. I rest my claims to the remembrance of my country upon my published works."
Friday 11 February 2011 11.50am
Even his descendants have no regard for his wishes

Now, almost 140 years after his death, Dickens' final request has sparked an impassioned debate among his most ardent fans and his family are suggesting his dying wish be laid to rest.
The writer's great-great grandson, Mark Charles Dickens, said a statue was "long overdue". Ian Dickens, another relative, asked: "Can you obey the desires set out in a will when numerous 'monuments' have appeared in the last hundred years?

"Like my Uncle Cedric and my cousin Mark, I endorse the call for a formal monument and if one appears in Rochester, another in Portsmouth and another in London, then hurrah to that."

But the proposal has enraged local history organisations and members of the Dickens Fellowship, who are against an idea which they feel would have mortified the modest author.

Mind you, even a will you make today and think is legally binding can be overturend by the courts so what chance have mere wishes got!
Thursday 29 September 2011 8.34am

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 29 September 2011 9.41am
Best monument to Dickens would be giving wholehearted support of charities and causes close to the man's heart. E.g. his support of the first abandoned dog's home in London, and children in poverty. Etc.

Personally I love the fact that most of the streets near me are named after Dickens characters/books - seems enough of a monument to me! :)
Thursday 29 September 2011 10.47am
I love the idea of Dickens characters brought to life in the form of sculpture, b earing in mind the proximity of the graveyard pity we could not have one of Pip from Great Expectations? a small patch of grass with the convict peering up at Pip? or was it vice versa!
Thursday 29 September 2011 12.43pm
KatG wrote:
Personally I love the fact that most of the streets near me are named after Dickens characters/books - seems enough of a monument to me! :)

Same here!
Friday 30 September 2011 6.28pm
Me too :)
Saturday 1 October 2011 11.09am
I also like this 'living memorial', with the street names.

I thought it a great shame that the plaque at the foot of 'Nancy's Steps', from London Bridge, was removed [which needed great force]and never replaced, some years ago. Now there are just two large rubbish bins for the premises next to it :(
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: