Vauxhall Cross: developer proposes SW8 to SE1 high-level walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Saturday 12 February 2011 4.11pm
Well oooooooooooooooo.

Related news & features

Saturday 12 February 2011 5.04pm
Do you think there's some law of nature that says that inner South London must have a fixed number of aerial walkways?

Just as they start to knock down the ones on the Aylesbury Estate, developers start thinking about building new ones in Vauxhall - presumably because the E&C ones worked so well.
jpm
Saturday 12 February 2011 6.20pm
This is like the 70s all over again. Go across some bits of SE1 - certainly around Bankside - and you can see where this idea had been had before. (I'm thinking of the aerial walkways around Kings Reach Tower that go nowhere for example).

I'm sure there was a reason why this 70s idea didn't really catch on....
Saturday 12 February 2011 7.42pm
hideous 70s planning ... no way! what hitler didnt manage to achieve post-war planners did and they can't be at it again
Tuesday 22 March 2011 10.33am
The shortlist for the design competition has been announced:

http://www.vauxhallsquare.co.uk/site1.php

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 5.16pm
If it's like the aerial park in New york then why not.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 9.58pm
lyonsdown wrote:
If it's like the aerial park in New york then why not.

Although the High Line in New York crosses a couple of reasonably busy cross streets, it is not actually on top of a major traffic intersection with all the noise and pollution challenges presented by Vauxhall Cross.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 12.11am
Who needs a walkway? If they could make it like the roller coaster in the Barclaycard ad, then they could be onto something.
Zoe
Wednesday 23 March 2011 7.38am
A roller coaster to get around London would be great, lets suggest it to Boris, he'll go for any mad idea.

I'm quite a fan of moving walkways as well, like the one in Waterloo Station. I love that feeling of walking quickly.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 9.44am
There's the raised park at Mile End...never been there or know anything about really....does anyone know if that works?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: