Fourth plinth recreated in dead-end SE1 street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
phoney Tuesday 15 February 2011 6.23pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5110

Quote: The piece entitled 'Phantom' is on display 24 hours a day until the end of April.

Should be just enough time to be 'decorated'! (joke)

Merlin Rouge Tuesday 15 February 2011 6.29pm
The longer quote from the Cul De Sac website reads: 'In an area struggling to shake off the hangover of its post-industrial decay this Victorian replica displaces the emptiness of political rhetoric into the real of urbanism'.

Anyone know what this means?
Jan the old one Wednesday 16 February 2011 11.03am
What it means young Merlin is we need that organisation for the simplicity of English, cant for the life of me now think what it was called, but I know that about 25 years ago Southwark won an award for it's clarity of the housing benefit forms..I am all for keeping our beautiful English language in use and bemoan the lack of it, even though I forget the right words sometimes!
Boss St Bloke Wednesday 16 February 2011 11.11am
Jan - I thinks its Crystal Mark of the Plain English Campaign.

dronid Wednesday 16 February 2011 11.29am
So, do any artists want to desplay their artwork on top of it?
Merlin Rouge Wednesday 16 February 2011 1.52pm
I think the press release about the art was written with this:

http://www.pixmaven.com/phrase_generator.html

I got this from it:

'With regard to the issue of content, the disjunctive perturbation of the spatial relationships brings within the realm of discourse the distinctive formal juxtapositions'.

Sounds about right for the dead end street plinth

*-)
phoney Wednesday 16 February 2011 3.22pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
I think the press release about the art was written with this:

Now that's a useful fun site Merlin Rouge

I got (slightly altered):
I'm troubled by how the external dynamic of the biomorphic form verges on codifying the street accessibility to the work.
James Hatts Sunday 15 July 2012 3.29pm
The plinth now has a mini-garden next to it:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6171

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Perronetonian Monday 16 July 2012 10.14am
I went to have a look at this urban garden this morning on the way to work and was a little underwhelmed. There was just an expanse of slightly patchy looking turf and some yellow tape keeping me off it. Not a flowering plant in sight. Perhaps the Arts Council might like to use some of its precious funds to help some other urban gardening initiatives around SE1 that are more visible to passers by, more nature friendly and don't require a lawn mower? The fake plinth is a wonderfully incongruous and fun reason to visit this cul de sac, but the turf behind it isn't much of a garden or even very arty.
beetroot Monday 16 July 2012 11.46am
The tape is probably temporary while the turf settles in. So the flowers in the news pic weren't there? That's a shame. In the pic the plinth looks even more odd (in a good way) going into the turf area. Makes it look even more like it's just landed. Never mind art. Doctor Who should find a reason for it being there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions