SE1 Controlled Parking Zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 11.23am
Consultation has started on the 'Paterson Park' Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ). Map here It covers the east-most part of SE1 (St James's Road and beyond). If you live nearby, please let me have your thoughts.
Thanks Cllr Graham Neale
Thursday 7 April 2011 9.40pm
Dear cllr

Firstly, I think it's great that you use forums such as this to gauge local opinion. I think we are blessed with some good cllrs. Cllr Kyriakou has come through for me on some important issues and displays real energy in his mission to regenerate the blue.

For monnow road I'm certainly very much against the scheme. I appreciate opinions differ across the proposed area (here's a link to a thread which, on the whole, disagrees with me - but they live on a different street: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/137948 )

And that's my point. It seems that the whole area is being treated with one big solution. I really hope that's not the case, as it's clearly wrong.

On my street I have never had to park more than 10 metres from my place. There's never a problem.

It has the potential to be seen as quite an underhand way of raising tax revenue on people already struggling to keep up with their monthly payments.

If it ain't broke .....
Friday 8 April 2011 9.49am
I regretfully feel that the proposed CPZ scheme will need to be all in or no one in. If the scheme goes ahead any roads that opt out (when others opt in) will become gridlocked with commuter and long term parking.

I note that others have commented that they currently have no parking issues in their roads but I do see many examples of where residents put bollards and/or wheelie bins in the road outside of their properties in an attempt to stop others parking.

I note that along with any CPZ with come yellow lines and associated road marking which will lead to better enforcement of the near daily inconsiderate parking on corners and parking across dropped kerbs and access to driveways.
Friday 8 April 2011 11.22am
the area doesnt need this introduced. i never have any problem parking on my road. i just see it as another revenue for southwark to get some more money out of us. we are not close enough to a station to warrant the use of these.

my neighbours are both oap and have their family attend almost on a daily basis to help them out, if this is introduced they will have to pay everytime they want to visit and if there are no pay and displays then the problem of going to the parking shop to order the parking slips.
Friday 8 April 2011 4.58pm
There is a wider argument, more about how we want our neighbourhood to develop. Do we want cars to dominate our cityscape, do we want to build an environment that is attractive for cyclists and pedestrians?
Should our roads outside our homes just remain linear toll-free car parks?
Would we walk and cycle more if we had to pay to park?
We all want our local shops to thrive, yet we drive to Surrey Quays and Tescos, how can we protect our communities in a car dominated world?
On the other hand, who wants to pay 2 a week to park the car?
Monday 11 April 2011 12.27pm
Some very good points regarding the proposed CPZ. Seems to me that two quid a week to park in your own street in a price worth paying.

What worries me is that there seems to be quite a lot of negative comments regarding the CPZ, lets face it the CPZ will help to rid our local streets of commuter parking and those who think that we are happy with them dumping old vans and cars for many weeks or months at a time without moving.

Are you happy when you can not even find a safe place to cross the road because of inconsiderate commuter parking?

I do appreciate that the CPZ will just move the commuter parking elsewhere but hopefully it may encourage more people to take the public transport.

I can understand the worry that some visitor may have to pay to park, but we need to ask ourselves how many people really have visitors Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm?
Monday 11 April 2011 1.00pm
In order to stop commuter parking all that is necessary is a one hour controlled parking time in the middle of the day. Other boroughs use this and the public are then fairly supportive in paying their residents permits as they can see that the council is not out to maximise it's revenue in the name of parking controls.
Monday 11 April 2011 4.38pm
i have parents who are disabled and live in Southwark and we can never park outside their house when i need to help them as it is all residents parking and weekends the streets are full of visitors and trying to park is a nightmare

I think many people forget that because you live somewhere it does not give you automatic rights to park outside your property and i do get annoyed when i see people putting out bins or cones-many of us in Southwark have had to pay to park a few streets away from where we live if we are lucky for many years in comparison to the cost of petrol 2 per week is nothing.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 9.05am
I think Jerry has a great point. We really only have a problem parking outside our house if we move the car between 8 & 10am when the commuters are looking for places. After that the streets around Thorburn square are ok. The 1-2 hour controlled zone seems like a good solution
Wednesday 13 April 2011 3.03pm
Unless the operational times of the proposed CPZ matches the times of the existing CPZs surrounding the proposed new zone we will still experience problems.

Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm (along with proper enforcement by Southwark Council) is the only way we will bring some sort of order to the parking mess that we currently have.

2 per week is a small price to pay for this.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: