Hungarians in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 February 2011 4.21pm
Are there any Hungarians living anywhwere near The Borough? I've lived in Hungary for nearly 2 years, and have studied the language. I would like to continue to practise it if possible.
Thursday 17 February 2011 8.17am
I'm Hungarian but I cant speak it..alas!
Friday 18 February 2011 1.32am
The only Hungarian I know is working in the Falklands!
Friday 18 February 2011 9.27am
My dad is Hungarian but I can't speak it either...and he's gone back to Hungary to live now too. I learnt when I was little but that was a long time ago and have forgotten most of it. Even when I go back I find it incredibly difficult to pick up. I have been told it is a very complicated language to learn.
Friday 18 February 2011 5.14pm
I do find it difficult, although I studied with a proper teacher. The structure of the language is totally different to English, and the vocabulary is like nothing on earth! Ah well, just thought I'd ask....
Monday 21 February 2011 2.53pm
There is a Hungarian Cultural Centre in Covent Garden, which is not quite SE1, but they may be able to help.

http://www.hungary.org.uk/hungarian-cultural-centre.asp
Monday 21 February 2011 7.41pm
I have a Hungarian friend who speaks excellent English. She lives in OKR - and I have sent her the link for here. Someone owes me a Goulash! :p
Saturday 26 February 2011 10.40am
I am also Hungarian but, following the death of my mother, no longer have any cause to speak the language which is a real shame as it was my first language until the age of five!! I would love to try and re- learn the language so if anyone is thinking of setting up a Hungarian language group, I would love to go !!
Monday 7 March 2011 7.51am
Thanks to everyone for their replies, which I have only recently read, because I've been away. ( To Hungary, in fact!)
I know about the Cultural Centre, and have written to them, but they only told me about courses you can do at the University of Westminster. I don't want to do a course, because I'm not working at the moment, so don't want to pay out. I was hoping just to be able to meet someone for informal chats in Hungarian, just for practice. ( I'd be happy to buy the coffee/drinks !!)
My hungarian friends tell me that wherever you go in the world, there's always a Hungarian to be found, so I'll have to keep looking!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: