Simon Hughes not present at forest sell-off vote

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 February 2011 6.15pm
Anyone else email Simon Hughes to urge him to vote against the gov. plans to sell off English forests? I did and asked him to respond letting me know how he intended to vote. Got neither acknowledgement nor response. Just checked and see he didn't turn up for the vote. Fortunately, other MPs responded to public outcry at the proposals and, as a result, they've been rejected in their current form. Shame Simon wasn't interested enough.
Thursday 17 February 2011 6.24pm
I didn't - where is the nearest forest?
Zoe
Thursday 17 February 2011 9.21pm
Chalfont St. Giles, about 25 miles.
Thursday 17 February 2011 10.14pm
Thursday 17 February 2011 10.17pm
He did manage to find the time to be one of the handful of MPs to recently vote in favour of prisoners having the vote

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23922623-stay-firm-on-prisoner-votes-boris-johnson-tells-david-cameron.do
Friday 18 February 2011 9.12am
graham wrote:

Well said.
Friday 18 February 2011 9.29am
se1lurker wrote:
graham wrote:

Well said.
Odd comment. Do you mean that a person should only be concerned with things happening in their direct surroundings? Guess I'd better stop reading national newspapers.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 18 February 2011 11.04am
I think the whole Forest Sale issue was a bluff and smoke screen created by ConLib so they could cancel it and say "see, we are a listening, caring tree loving govt" - meanwhile the cuts rage on.
Friday 18 February 2011 2.18pm
You might well be right, Boss St Bloke, but it's good to see the number of peoople who were prepared to take action in view of the threat - real or contrived. Anyway, I for one intend to get back to Simon Hughes on the issue, and hopefully this time he'll get back to me. See below, from the Woodland Trust

" We welcome the opportunity for a more considered approach to the future of our ... woodlands but our campaign continues ... there is still an acute need for better protection of Ancient Woodland, our equivalent of the rainforests, ... Even if there are no sales of publicly owned forests, the worst of all worlds would be for there to be no change to the loopholes that have allowed 850 ancient woods to be threatened by built development over the past decade. Ministers have made strong commitments over the past few weeks to increase protection for ancient woods, and we will be holding them to these commitments.

There is currently a proposal to water down protection for ancient woodland in the planning system. We need your help to defeat this proposal by 28th February."

(Incidentally, if you put your SE1 postcode into the search facility of the Woodland Trust site, www.woodlandtrust.org.uk, you can find your nearest wood. Mine came up as 2.01 miles away. Not ancient woodland and not - as far as I know - threatened with sell-off. But there for SE1-ers to enjoy and one of the things that adds to our quality of life. )
Saturday 19 February 2011 9.22am
Do keep pushing for a response aoibhneas and let us know if you get one. He is probably too busy appearing on TV selling the destruction of higher education to us all. At the rate things are going there will be no amenities/public services left for any of us, wherever we live. Once these things are gone, they will be gone forever.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: