BT Broadband Shad Thames/Queen E. St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 28 February 2011 3.29pm
Is anyone experiencing connection problems in the above area (BT Broadband) e.g. constant drop outs and intermittent connection ?
BT swear there is no problem .
Thanks
Monday 28 February 2011 4.08pm
Yes - last night. Fine all day today. Weekends are often bad.
Monday 28 February 2011 6.54pm
Just checked (I'm just off QE ST)

Internet Connection time 0 days, 4:57:18

So its reset itself while I was at work. It does this quite often.

The problem started for me back in October when BT 'upgraded' the circuit from the exchange as part of their fibre and high speed roll out.

BT Quote:"Good news. We’ve upgraded our network in your area
Remember we let you know we were rolling out our faster broadband? We’ve now done it in your area. We always offer the fastest speed your line can take and now your broadband speed and connection should be faster and more stable than before.

You can find out more at www.bt.com/networkupgrade

Your line needs time to settle down
For the next ten days or so, your broadband might slow down or even stop now and again. That’s normal and your speed will soon settle down. You can help it along by leaving your BT Home Hub or router on all the time and using your broadband as much as you can for this period."

Speed dropped from 6mb to around 3mb. Line kept dropping. It was unusable for any TV streaming. I did call BT and have the line checked, but realised I wasn't going to persuade anyone there was a problem, so I sighed and in the end I just left it for about 6 weeks and it did finally settle down. I'm back to 6mb/770k.

But connection does still keep dropping and its no faster, so the statement above is the usual marketing hype.

Keep us posted if you have any luck persuading BT there is an issue. Good luck!
Monday 28 February 2011 7.03pm
Getting occasional drop-outs on the connection here too. Never totally sure if it's the hub or the line itself.

We're paying for 8mb, but I've never seen it run quicker than 3.5.
Monday 28 February 2011 10.16pm
1.It's worth replacing the BT Homehub Router (versions 1 or 2, the just out version 3 has a secret sauce I haven't tried). I'm pleased with this one for £36. A good feature is that the re-set is far faster than the BT Homehub.
2.If you keep your router by your computer, then connect with an ethernet cable to avoid your brainwaves scrambling the wi-fi.
3. A big part of my problems has been the lighting wiring in my ceiling. When I turned the bathroom light on, it knocked out the wi-fi connection due to the power surge in 1 cable running over the phone cable. Now it's fixed, but no thanks to BT which never diagnosed it in multiple visits.
4. I now get a mostly steady 5.7/.370mbps speed which seems like a blessing, tho for rather less money in America I get 14/2.
5. It's pathetic that in the centre of the world's financial capital the only choice available is ancient rat-bitten cabling a mile from the exchange. It puts the ad into adsl; ante-diluvian.
Tuesday 1 March 2011 8.43am
UPDATE :-
Having reported the fault I was promised a call from the engineer at 5.30 p.m. yesterday (this was booked by BT help centre as they could not help me). Having left work early to take the call I left it until 5.50 and called them. I was told the engineering section would close at six and to call them myself--I was given a pin number to get through the system.
Having spoken to them (just in time ) I was told that there was/is a fault as my line was showing an intermittent connection (I thanked them for telling me after 24 hours something I already knew ). Then came the options:-
1. Book an engineer call out -first available ten days away !
2. Escalate to BT wholesale who would look into it and get back to me after 48 hours.
BUT it had to be either/or so if they found the fault was internal I would have to book an engineer thus delaying the repair further.
As I've never had any trouble with stuff in the flat (router etc. all ok ) I have gone down the wholesale route and will wait to see.
Incidentally my speed has never gone above 2.5 mbps.

Will update in due course!!
Tuesday 1 March 2011 9.52am
UPDATE (2)
Spoke to BT and told them I am going to change ISP and asked for MAC code (needed to change supplier) put on hold for a few mins. and then offered a free speed upgrade and reduced charges if I stay with them !
I said it depended on fault being sorted !!
UPDATE (3) to follow ...
Tuesday 1 March 2011 3.06pm
What number at BT are you calling? A friend of mine is having a similar problem with his broadband but when he tries to report it he keeps getting passed back and forth between Sales and Tech Support!
Tuesday 1 March 2011 3.20pm
Try 0800 111 4567
Tuesday 1 March 2011 5.31pm
Frederick, I'm over the other side of SE1 - near Waterloo. I had this problem all of last week - intermittent connection, line dropping constantly, etc. My router was showing nothing better than 'fair' signal strength - it's usually 'good', never 'excellent'.

I called BT yesterday (BT Business, not sure if yours is) and they said there were problems all of last week but they were cleared by Monday morning. They tested the line and found a problem. An engineer came today at lunchtime and found numerous problems including a loose connection in one of our sockets. He replaced all the sockets, advised me to change all the filters, call BT for a new router - the 2Wire are 'crap' and need replacing regularly apparently. He also said that there is a new team dealing with 'Broadband Boost' - most of the engineers have been trained in this and you can book a call specifically to boost your signal.

He said that one of the things he learned from his course is that routers should be positioned relatively high as they operate like an umbrella!

I do seem to have a vastly increased speed - currently testing at 11Mb which is supposedly the maximum for my exchange. Signal strength is now 'excellent' at last.

He also advised checking out the BT Infinity site for news of fiber optic upgrades which will give 40Mb speed but......check the charges carefully too.

Am not a BT fan but this was the most positive experience in a long time.......maybe they are feeling the pressure from Virgin.

Good luck with getting yours sorted out.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: