White Cube Gallery on Recall site

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
aoibhneas Friday 8 July 2011 1.45pm
shaggy wrote:
blimey Frank....all that moaning on this topic and you don't even live there!!!

Personally, I'm grateful to Frank, and anyone else, who posts on this forum providing information. Glib comments followed by cute exclaimation marks I can do without. But each to his own.
orione Friday 8 July 2011 2.42pm
I tend to agree with Shaggy although I see aoibhneas's point.

Locals get too little attention.
I think that Bermondsey street is becoming too much dedicated to Monday to Friday and 9 to 6 people.

I would like to see life around, art and education. The WC gallery could bring this and bring also lymph to the Fashion Museum and school and other little initiatives in the area.

I said this already but I really would not like ending up living in a good looking dormitory. Please not...
shaggy Friday 8 July 2011 4.02pm
"Glib comments followed by cute exclaimation marks I can do without"

Ouch !!!!!
frank peters Friday 8 July 2011 4.24pm
An interesting one - my view is to prefer art and education (and other things) around life. Can't say too often that we support the WC gallery in Bermondsey Street - that just isn't the point - the point is co-existing and the impact on peoples lives when there there are alternatives.

This is purely an example of developers greed in not exercising a low impact sustainable solution because it is cheaper to dessimate ROY rather than house the stuff on what is the largest site around. With the Councils blessing of course. DP9 played a blinder.

I would like to be around to see the comments in 15 years when the site is likely to go for development having now gained access rights but as was pointed out - I don't live there. Far fetched - call me cynical? Research WC and planning. In retrospect Oakmayne may have provided a better alternative for the future.
orione Friday 8 July 2011 5.14pm
Frank why do you think there is a second plan for that site? Like a hidden back up plan. Maybe I am missing something but I would like to know. I remember this project was supported by the design museum and Tate and several artists.
On what are your suspicions based? Thank you
Philpotts24 Monday 26 September 2011 4.37pm
I have just discovered, by chance, that the White Cube opens its doors on Bermondsey Street, on Wednesday 12 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15063357

Better get our party hats ready!
Julia7239 Monday 26 September 2011 10.06pm
My party hat is a lobster on a telephone

Cant believe they are opening next month not oct 2012. Looked more like brown dump rather than White cube last week, so must be getting a fit out like a pret or Starbucks . Or just some amazing incentivised builders and project team. An art in itself.
therunningman Monday 26 September 2011 10.56pm
So, according to The Guardian, it's quite big..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/sep/26/white-cube-empire-record-gallery

Yup I reckon they wil be ready on time. They better be. Getting woken every morning by the soothing sounds of drills and hammers. Hope it's for a reason.

Seriously though it's pretty exciting.

WIth regards to back up plan for site mentioned earlier, from what I've learnt I personally don't think there's anything suspicious going on and i'd rather have WC than a zillion pokey badly designed flats any day...

Only shame will be in 15 years once we've all got used to it and it's pulled down. Enjoy it before it goes!

15 years left..
therunningman Monday 26 September 2011 10.56pm
So, according to The Guardian, it's quite big..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/sep/26/white-cube-empire-record-gallery

Yup I reckon they wil be ready on time. They better be. Getting woken every morning by the soothing sounds of drills and hammers. Hope it's for a reason.

Seriously though it's pretty exciting.

WIth regards to back up plan for site mentioned earlier, from what I've learnt I personally don't think there's anything suspicious going on and i'd rather have WC than a zillion pokey badly designed flats any day...

Only shame will be in 15 years once we've all got used to it and it's pulled down. Enjoy it before it goes!

15 years left..
frank peters Tuesday 27 September 2011 12.33pm
You can do things much quicker if you ignore the rules - the CDM stipulated all works entry from Bermondsey Street - but to cut corners Royal Oak Yard has been used - hence the smashing of a residents car, a generator being stuck under the arch for two hours, no rubbish collection by Southwark as the access is now restricted, deliveries to residents cancelled as no access, and so on.
You can also get more done if you ignore H&S - take a walk down ROY - no hard hats, no barriers, offloading onto footpaths, hauling with ropes and no barriers, parking on footpaths, working hours directive ignored (hence runningman comments - wait till the massive security night lights are lluminated)
The definition of sustainable is now a major topic - 15 years is not a sustainable solution in terms of materials and energy for this project (as runningman comment comment) - and sustainability cannot just be seen in future proposal - the sustainable community in ROY (social and commercial) is now blighted - hence those who are moving.
As for the future plans - just take a look at modus operandi for WC and project to 15 years - just do your research on developers rather than art.
The new NPPF will soon be adopted and this will be a developers charter.
Not so sure you will have the full 15 years to enjoy it - they may find that a zillion pokey badly designed flats gives a better return and that another London council might welcome a new WC. However, I am sure they will listen to the comments of those who have been supportive of their artistic endeavours !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions