White Cube Gallery on Recall site

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7
Lang Rabbie Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.57pm
Looking at my e-mails (I must delete them more regularly!) I appear to have been invited to 37 private views in the last year but not one "vernissage".

Clearly I am mixing in the wrong artistic circles
orione Tuesday 11 October 2011 11.28pm
A vernissage as it is also called... it is not necessarily private :).

Have a google about it. But don't change circles.

On of the many examples.. :)

http://vernissage.tv/blog/
Philpotts24 Wednesday 12 October 2011 12.19am
Well I went - got in [eventually] and marvelled at what they have done to the building. Quite what the Art was all about is another matter :p Lily Cole looked lovely.
orione Wednesday 12 October 2011 9.28am
Hi Philipotts. Any extended report from yesterday? I don't want to spoil James's work but I am curious.

Also is there a website for the white cube gallery in Bermondsey where we can follow the events?

PS: Lily Cole ... I have so many undelivered love letters for her... So jealous :))
Philpotts24 Wednesday 12 October 2011 11.56am
It was, as I was forewarned, a 'scrum' to get into the forecourt - but there was generous hospitality for the second leg of queuing, to enter the building. Just as well it was a fine evening!

Enjoy your visit, Orione.
marcusm Wednesday 12 October 2011 5.36pm
Please forgive double post.
marcusm Wednesday 12 October 2011 5.38pm
orione wrote:
marcusm wrote:
Vernissage would I think be better known as varnishing day here.

You mean here (there) in your house? :)

It is the actual name internationally used for an artistic opening..

Used often as a second meaning for: free food and drinks.. who cares about the pictures.. :)))

The reason for including the alternative to vernissage was to allow those not fluent in French to understand the original purpose.

To illustrate the long standing use of "varnishing day", consider perhaps the Victorian work by George du Maurier....

Www.victorianweb.co.uk/art/illustration/dumaurier/122.html
orione Wednesday 12 October 2011 5.48pm
marcusm wrote:
The reason for including the alternative to vernissage was to allow those not fluent in French to understand the original purpose.

To illustrate the long standing use of "varnishing day", consider perhaps the Victorian work by George du Maurier....

Www.victorianweb.co.uk/art/illustration/dumaurier/122.html

I see. Then my apologies. Chapeau. Le mie scuse. Perdon. :))
Julia7239 Thursday 20 October 2011 10.37am
Meh?

The forum has been very quiet on this and its now open!

What do people think? is there hellish noise and disruption?

I went after a boozy lunch on Saturday. Jay Jopling was there. It was very very bright and i walked into the loos thinking they were a gallery. There were a few people in impractical head wear. I didnt like any of the art. BUt great addition to the area! Not a block of new flats! Not an estate agents! Could be exciting or not really? I was slightly underwhelmed and if I was a squlionaire would not purchase anything there. but I suppose the exhibitions will speak for themselves and that is the point.
lullylush Friday 21 October 2011 6.54am
LOL @ impractical head wear - I might go to White Cube just to see if I can spot some.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions