Tidy Tank in Mandela Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 3 March 2011 7.01pm
Just got back from a week in Stornoway to see the overgrown vegetation at Russel Grays Russian tank Stompie in Mandela way has been cleared and tidied up.

Is this the work of Richard and guerrilla gardeners?
Thursday 3 March 2011 8.47pm
As far as I know it's work being done by a community group, with the owner's blessing. One of my neighbours saw them digging and asked, and she was told they're looking for volunteers. PLan is to clear it and have some kind of community garden that locals can help with.

Gordon do you know the story behind the tank? I've heard a couple of versions about how & why but reckon there must be plenty of urban myths.
Friday 4 March 2011 10.13am
Looks very neat indeed with the recent tidy. I walked past last night and they are planting some dafodils which looked nice. It's really nice when community groups get together to do things like this.

I thought the story behind it was the owner of the land wanted to build on that plot but was refused permission by the council. So he bought a tank and put it there and aimed it towards Southwark Council. Could all not be true though!!
Friday 4 March 2011 11.13am
There is this here (http://www.nothingtoseehere.net/2008/07/t34_tank_london_1.html) but I would beg to differ. I believe Stompie has been there since at least 1996 (i.e. 15 years).
Friday 4 March 2011 2.01pm
I live right opposite the tank, and would happily help with a community garden. Will see if I can spot the guys working on the land to ask more
Friday 4 March 2011 2.30pm
Quote:
There is this here (http://www.nothingtoseehere.net/2008/07/t34_tank_london_1.html) but I would beg to differ. I believe Stompie has been there since at least 1996 (i.e. 15 years).

well that was written in 2008...
Friday 4 March 2011 5.28pm
Do you live in Augustus Court Lucy? I'm on the 7th floor looking out over the tank. The only info I've had about the tank is from googling variations of 'Mandela Way tank' and reading the various online articles like the one above.

Earlier today there were people milling around down there and someone with a measuring pole (curtain twitching? me?) so I went down to see if it was the community group and had a nice chat with the lovely Joanna from Global Garden Party, registered with Capital Growth 2012.

She said that there are plans for a community garden with Russel Grays blessing and support and they should have a website soon to co-ordinate gardening gatherings there etc but she stressed this is nothing to do with Guerrilla Gardening. Joanna wasn't aware of this forum but I mentioned this thread and asked her if she would post her tuppence worth on here.

In the 5 years I've lived opposite Stompie I've always thought this space would be ideal for some sort of community garden but the mass of nettles seemed like a mammoth undertaking. Fair play to Joanna and GGP for doing such a grand job. I can't wait to get involved and help make this place wonderful.
Friday 4 March 2011 5.39pm
Hi Gordon

I'm in the old caretakers house by the pages walk school conversion, literally right opposite the tank. Nice one for talking to Joanna, I will look out for her comments and keep an eye out for the new website. I agree with you, I think this could be a lovely space
Saturday 5 March 2011 12.57pm
Just wondered if it would be useful to draw attention here to Merlin Rouge's posting today about the tree-felling in Burgess Park.
Saturday 5 March 2011 1.04pm
Hello neighbours. I'm in the schoolhouse on pages walk :-)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: