Parking Permits

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Alison66 Wednesday 16 March 2011 10.40pm
I've recently used the online residents parking permit renewal with no problems, but this was just after it went live, maybe I was just lucky. The biggest problem we have on St Johns and Fair St is finding an empty space as many are taken daily by Southwark employees with special parking permits, they don't want to go into the congestion charge so where I live is perfect for them to park and pop across the road, but I guess this is another discussion altogether.
Ailbhe Thursday 17 March 2011 12.04pm
I have tried to buy visitor permits on-line twice now and both times got a "your session has timed out or there is a technical error" when I entered my postcode from the "do not have a parking permit" screen. I then reluctantly had to phone Southwark council twice and both times the person who finally answered the phone argued with me that the website was working fine. The first time I phoned the employee was willing to do the transaction over the phone but I didn't have my council tax number with me (be useful if it were put on the website that you need this), and the second time the person refused point blank to do it over the telephone as there have been "many errors with people telling us we have sent them the wrong permits" and you have to send an email & then we phone you back! I pointed out that I just need generic visitor permits and there was little room for error in processing these, but he was insistent. I have sent a complaint to the council as it states on their website that you can buy permits "online or by phone", and neither service was available to me. I now also have to wait for the employee to phone me back, although I made him promise to do this within 2hours, I will wait to see whether that materialises.

The process is incredibly inefficient. At least if the website worked that would be a start, regardless of what other problems we would encounter by having to rely on our terrible postage service.

One hint for anyone phoning about street parking is that I was given a free phone number to call them - 0800 138 9081 as I think someone earlier mentions being on a premium line to them.
graham Thursday 17 March 2011 1.50pm
Consultation on the Paterson Park Controlled Parking Scheme is about to start, it could mean the last vestige of free parking in SE1 is removed, or the roads are reserved for residents, not commuters, depending on your view (note to self - remain neutral on this).
More details as always on my blog (including on line survey link)
MissT Friday 18 March 2011 2.25pm
Alison66 wrote:
The biggest problem we have on St Johns and Fair St is finding an empty space....

We have the same problem - in Leathermarket, Lamb Walk and Morocco Street many of the spaces are filled with vehicles with no permits of any type. Often they are also un-taxed as well, but although many of them sit in spaces for days on end they never seem to get tickets. I have heard that a local garage uses the spaces for their customers' cars and seem to have some sort of deal with the local Parking Officers so that they don't get tickets. A bit unfair I think. On top of that there is no 'Permit Only' signage in Lamb Walk when there should be.
graham Friday 18 March 2011 7.05pm
Very interesting. I have just made a formal request to the parking department.
I'll let you know what they say - please don't libel anyone.
deek Saturday 19 March 2011 4.39pm
MissT wrote:
Alison66 wrote:
The biggest problem we have on St Johns and Fair St is finding an empty space....

We have the same problem - in Leathermarket, Lamb Walk and Morocco Street many of the spaces are filled with vehicles with no permits of any type. Often they are also un-taxed as well, but although many of them sit in spaces for days on end they never seem to get tickets. I have heard that a local garage uses the spaces for their customers' cars and seem to have some sort of deal with the local Parking Officers so that they don't get tickets. A bit unfair I think. On top of that there is no 'Permit Only' signage in Lamb Walk when there should be.

sometimes you can find the parking wardens having a nap in the garage office...seriously.
unido Monday 21 March 2011 6.45pm
deek wrote:
MissT wrote:
Alison66 wrote:

sometimes you can find the parking wardens having a nap in the garage office...seriously.

I heard similar from a former flatmate who worked locally.
Ive seen the garage blokes in their red overalls swapping cars during the day, but Id assumed that the garage had some special agreement with the council as they are local industry and theyve been there much longer than most of us.
Graham, can you get the ambulance parked along from the garage on Leathermarket Street moved? Its been there for weeks no tax, half in a resident space and half on a yellow line It hasnt been ticketed.
I guess the napping report explains why I get tickets at 8am on a Saturday morning They must get their quota early then go off and sleep!
Kath Monday 28 March 2011 10.52am
I tried to transfer permit over to new (at least to us) car this last week. Would have done so online but there were questions I couldn't get answered regarding transfer.
I called several times for some minutes without response, left voice mail messages. Guess what? They didn't reply.
Finally got through late on Friday - no apology - and now the parking shop is closed, will have to collect new permit from car pound.
Oh - and they are going to start charging for a car transfer from next month so be warned.
graham Saturday 2 April 2011 7.24pm
I just got a frank and full response to Miss T's post above.
I posted it here.
Any more information will be passed on - of course!
MissT Monday 4 April 2011 10.21am
Thank you for looking into this Graham - it's been a problem for years and it's great that something is finally being done about it. Look forward to seeing the new signage. There are still untaxed vehicles without parking permits parked on Morocco Street. One in particular has been there for nearly 4 weeks and hasn't yet been ticketed or removed - hopefully the parking attendants in the area will deal with it this week.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions