Caribbean Cuisine - Tower Bridge Road. Superb & very cheap

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Sunday 6 March 2011 6.11pm
Had lunch yesterday at "Caribbean Cuisine" opposite Tescos on Tower Bridge Road. Thought it would be worthwhile recommending it here. He said nearly half his customers are from the Jam Factory. (This used to be Leone's Caribbean Cuisine, but the new owner took it on in November.)

The place was empty at 1pm when we arrived, so we nearly didn't go in, but there were clean white tablecloths and fresh flowers so we opened the front door and were met with a delightful cooking smell and sat down with no more ado.

We had salt cod with cabbage (they don't call it cabbage on the menu) which was delicious. Little bits of red chilli, shredded crisp fresh cabbage, and fish. All cooked up to make a delicious fresh curry with a smidgen of thin vegetable stock type sauce.

And we had curried goat. I cannot even guess what flavours were in it, but again delicious - very spicy, with fragrant overtones. Full of little bones which is the inevitable downside of curried goat.

Served with rice with "peas" - some sort of tiny kidney bean, which coloured the rice a delicate pinky brown; and with deep fried plantain.

No wine list - no licence - but you are welcome to bring your own.

Total cost, lunch for two, 11. It's not the Ritz, but the food is superb and it's well worth supporting.
Monday 7 March 2011 9.47am
That is really a good price Mapmaker and now I feel hungry! Do you know the opening times offhand?
Monday 7 March 2011 12.55pm
Thanks for the tip Mapmaker, I like a good Caribbean, will give this place a try
Monday 7 March 2011 1.28pm
Haven't been here myself but it's definitely on my list. My next-door neighbours love it; they say the owner/chef's a really nice guy, everything's feshly cooked and that it also does great take-away.
Monday 7 March 2011 5.02pm
ackee salt fish here i come!
Monday 7 March 2011 8.43pm
Thank you for this. I noticed it looked different when on the bus the other day, and said to myself we should try it. I might have forgotten about it for quite a while.
Wednesday 9 March 2011 12.47pm
Got take out here yesterday for myself and other half. Jerk chicken was excellent, best I've had in a while. Portions were huge. One could have done the two of us easily. 5.50 amazing value

No connection etc
Wednesday 9 March 2011 2.06pm
This place sounds really good - anyone know if it's open in the evenings (or is it just a lunchtime place)?
Wednesday 9 March 2011 5.16pm
Oh yes, ours was a dinner trip, open till 10ish I think
Thursday 10 March 2011 10.09pm
Whenever I've passed this place, it's always empty - despite the new owner's endeavours to improve the restaurant's appearance. I assumed it's because the restaurant seems to have no name. 'Leone's' has been removed, but no substitute has appeared. I wonder why. Seems quite obvious that the first thing any restaurant should have is a name.

Still, I'm now tempted to try it whereas before I wasn't.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: