Sweeper vans..filthy water on streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 March 2011 10.07am
Has any one else had this problems..for several years in bartholomew street the sweepers park up for their breaks. these vehicles have a large hose thing at the back and last week I watched in amazement as one of them tipped the body back up and off loaded gallons and gallons of filthy water into the street.

I phone 7525 2000 was answered by a very efficient lady who agreed that sweeping and washing the streets were counter productive if the waste water was discharged back into one of the streets it had cleaned.

A few days later I was phoned by the department and was told that any such waste is discharged into the drains, I pointed out the nearest drain on that side of the road was over 30 yards away. Still I hoped that if the Supervisor had a word with their driver it would not happen again. Again I looked out the window this morning and saw the blue and white checked sweeper, this time the hose was continously discharging the water, not in a gush more like steady large trickles, and I am peed off!

Why are these vehicles allowed to discharge waste onto the streets of Southwark, when if a smoker drops a cigarette or I dropped litter I could be fined? and where is the flipping sense of it all? Tomorrow I will have my camera ready!
Monday 7 March 2011 11.31pm
Take pictures, get the plate number if any, post them here, report them to the police etc!
We pay for this s***!

Thank you!
Tuesday 8 March 2011 12.06pm
Oddly enough looked out today and no vehicle was there perhaps I missed him, or his supervisor reads this Forum! either way will take photos...
Wednesday 9 March 2011 9.46am
The same vehicle pulled up this morning, stayed about 2 minutes and pulled away fairly quickly, parked nearby was a white van with southwark cleaning on it, perhaps the supervisor reads this forum!
Wednesday 9 March 2011 10.41am
if so, good for you, Jan. And thanks on behalf of the rest of us :)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: