Wanted: Washing lines in London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 March 2011 2.32pm
I am researching washing lines in london for a video project.
Can be on rooftops/ balconies/ stairwells/ above baths/ in courtyards...anywhere.
Would love to interview and film the owners. Please email me if you know any or anyone who would chat for hours about washing.
Nice washing weather today. Let's hope it lasts.
Thanks
Monday 7 March 2011 7.27pm
.. just moved to Whitchapel (cambridge heath rd) from SE1 .. noticing a lot of washing hanging on balconies on local estates

Btw
..not sure 'middle class' areas even allow them
lol
Monday 7 March 2011 10.13pm
thankyou, keep eyes open for any that are really visual. It doesnt matter of they are inaccessible or totally grungy. Very appreciated. Let me know.best wishes
Tuesday 8 March 2011 1.04am
a lot of tenancy agreements stipulate that washing lines are not allowed (seemingly they make the place look untidy, but it sounds a bit snobby to me).
Tuesday 8 March 2011 7.57am
I'm lucky I have a rotary washing line on my terrace and no one can see it...so I hang out my washing any opportunity I get. With the wind on top of MCH it dries far more quickly than it takes for the machine to wash it. But I do hate seeing washing strung across balconies..although tumble dryers are an affront to the environment.
Tuesday 8 March 2011 8.55pm
Southwark Council will fine you if you put washing out in some areas but not others. Where I live we haven't had a letter stating this, but just a few streets away they have.

All the local TRA's were asked at the Forum meetings if they agreed with a ban on washing, apparently it was put forward by someone in Dulwich. Our forum disagreed with the proposal stating that the council have been asking us to save energy and if you couldn't put washing out we would all have to have tumble driers!!!

It does not look nice but how else can it be done, especially on estates where people don't have their own garden. The council did in the past provide washing lines and each flat had its day to use them. But with all the new landlords we have in the area they just want it to look pretty and to hell with the rest of us.
Tuesday 8 March 2011 9.24pm
On some estates it is not feasible to have tumble dryers as space does not permit in their kitchens, and utility rooms are not provided! Growing up in strood house at number 1, we had a washing line right outside our door actually in the square.
In my Aunties old blocks near East street they had drying rooms, large empty rooms with no glass only bars in the windows, then eventually these were turned into extra flats.
Tuesday 8 March 2011 11.06pm
I love a nice washing line, don't even mind washing on balconies. I've always been fascinated by the fact that our ancestors laid washing out on the ground to dry, rather than hanging it up. In one of the oldest surviving maps of London ( about 1559, by Ralph Agas ) you can a woman and two boys carrying a big basket of washing to Moor Field, behind Moorgate, and shirts, smocks and household linen already laid out on the grass there, while woman sit spinning as they wait for them to dry.
Wednesday 9 March 2011 1.38pm
I love a line of washing aswell.
Can't comprehend why anyone would fine you for using natures way to get clothes dry. Love the resourcefulness of people with zero space aswell.
Something so revealing about them and defiant.
Thursday 10 March 2011 8.58pm
Washing smells so fresh when it has been on a line not like a tumble drier. We also don't have room for a tumble drier, our flats were built without kitchens so they added little ones on along with bathrooms, one friend has hers in the bedroom, but I haven't even got room there if I wanted to. So the balcony it is.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: