Councillors to investigate social and economic impact of the Shard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 8 March 2011 12.12pm
Councillors to investigate social and economic impact of the Shard

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5143

Is it not a little late for all of this? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Shard and believe it most likely bring prosperity to SE1 without too much adverse impact on the local community.

But asking a local trader for his/her input on the impact on local business at this late stage of development? The bolt on the stable door has rusted and the horse is in Australia by now.

Also, does this type of analysis cost the council anything?
Tuesday 8 March 2011 12.27pm
I think the outcome of any investigation is more likely to take the form of recommendations as to how things could be done differently in future developments than it is to make any difference to how things turn out with the Shard itself.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 March 2011 2.42pm
As Chibaken says, a bit bloody late. Staggering that this assessment wasn't required as part of the planning application process - Southwark's star struck planning committee can't have seen much beyond the priapism of having the tallest building in London.
Wednesday 9 March 2011 4.19pm
I had to look up 'priapism'. I assume you're suggesting the Shard is a phallic folly?

pri·a·pism Show Spelled
[prahy-uh-piz-uhm]

–noun
1. Pathology . continuous, usually nonsexual erection of the penis, especially due to disease.
2. prurient behavior or display.
Wednesday 9 March 2011 5.06pm
blimey...so that's what its called!
Thursday 10 March 2011 4.03pm
I hear what you're saying James, but Cllr Glover's investigations are very much focussed on the impact of the present development, quote:

"Will it create local jobs?
Is there the potential that it could put local businesses out of business?
Or will it provide customers for local businesses?"

Don't get me wrong, as a local small business owner I didn't expect to have much say in a project of such magnitude, but what irks me are half-cocked council meetings inviting comment on questions that state the bleeding obvious:

1. Will it create local jobs? Yes
2. Is there the potential that it could put local businesses out of business? Yes
3. Will it provide customers for local businesses? Yes
Thursday 10 March 2011 4.06pm
...this gubbins gives me the right priapism....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: