Cops around The Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 8 March 2011 11.03pm
Been seeing a lot of beat officers in their hi-vis coats and trad helmets standing around the street corners of The Elephant just watching things over the last few weeks. Is it something in particular do you think or just some temporary exercise in visibility, deterrence etc?
Thursday 10 March 2011 1.25pm
I noticed the same. Never seen any for over a decade and then suddenly, they are everywhere, especially lady policemen. Very strange. They look like they are standing around and not just walking through. Maybe someone is under surveillance.
Friday 11 March 2011 12.55am
I have seen them recently, i assumed they were supporting the TFL staff on checking people for tickets particularly on the bendy buses 453 and 12...
Monday 14 March 2011 9.27am
There are two of them virtually 24/7 on going up and down Elephant Road.
I heard (can't remember where) that the disappearance of the subway had transferred crime to that road but I can't imagine there can be that much crime in the first place.

They do seem to be stopping and searching people quite regularly though.
Monday 14 March 2011 12.02pm
This morning the spring sunshine seems to have brought out a proliferation of community support officers on Borough High Street, perfecting their strolling technique. No less than 8 spotted in the space of a few minutes between the Town Hall and the library.
Monday 14 March 2011 4.50pm
I understand that its a concerted drive to reduce low-level crime (begging, pick-pocketing etc.) on buses to and from/at bus-stops around Elephant.
Monday 14 March 2011 5.18pm
'...perfecting their strolling technique.'

Do they have a variation on the rolling back on the heels and bend at the knees technique of the Bill of old?
Friday 25 March 2011 11.51am
Yesterday between 6 and 8:30pm, on the 4 separate occasions I saw 6 different policemen lurking around North of E&C roundabound. 2 at 6pm, 1 at 6:20pm, 1 at 6:40pm and finally 2 at 8:30pm.
Really weird, never seen so much police presence in what is a very quiet part of E&C. I am wondering if I could ask one of them one of these days. It gives me a strange feeling of sudden insecurity in the area.
Friday 25 March 2011 12.30pm
"It gives me a strange feeling of sudden insecurity in the area."

Could there be a greater condemnation of the Met! (I agree!)
Friday 25 March 2011 3.47pm
Maybe they've heard that our park got nicked by the council!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: