St Michael's Catholic secondary SE1. What are its good and bad pointspoints

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 March 2011 2.10am
My son age 11 has a place in 2011 at St Michael's. Can anyone throw some light on its strong points or failings? What are the music and sports facilities like? can it challenge the academically bright? Would be great to hear from anyone attending now or their parents.
Monday 14 March 2011 9.04am
Verjoe

I don't have any kids there but most people that do that I know think the school is ok (not a wonderful school but better than many in the borough). Be thankful your son got a place at a school of choice (as did mine) many kids in the area have not got even one of their 6 and many in my sons class have been allocated to the Globe school even though none of them put it as a choice not want to go there
sxc
Saturday 23 April 2011 12.58am
FYI, there are some major industrial works that could happen in Chambers Wharf, adjacent to St Michael's RC, to dig the Thames "Super Sewer". These could begin in 2013, last for at least 7 years and be followed by a further 3-4 years of residential construction (so the area could be a massive building site until 2023/4).

This raises several concerns:

* Pupils' health (particularly respiratory) could be adversely affected. A DEFRA equality impact assessment of the works admits that under 25s are more at risk.
* The noise and proximity of the site might affect children's academic results.
* Heavy site traffic could also pose a threat to children.

A campaign has been launched to look for alternatives to these major proposed works: http://www.saveyourriverside.org. You might also want to check with the school's management.
Monday 25 April 2011 10.28am
we did not pick globe but my sone has been there 2 year and the school is a lot better than the geoffrey chaucer days
Wednesday 27 April 2011 9.45am
Onlyme73

Given the money spent on the Globe I would hope it has improved but it is struggling to shake off the Geoffrey Chaucer association with many local parents. The point I was making is that many parents did not get a school of choice and are being forced to send their kids to the Globe as this is one of the few schools in Southwark still undersubscribed so those of us that did get a school we wanted should be thankful.

Who knows in a few years the Globe may become a very desirable school like the transformation of Kingsdale.
Wednesday 27 April 2011 1.14pm
Sorry, just noticed this thread

You can be assured that St Michael's is an exceptional school, one of the best in the borough. The school is lead by excellent headmistress along with top quality teachers.

Children of all abilities will be challenged and will be encouraged to progress.

Earlier this year St Michael’s moved to a new site which contained very good music, sporting, drama and language facilities.

St Michael’s has maintained its strong Catholic roots therefore “Catholicism” remains a core part of its teachings and traditions.
Monday 9 May 2011 2.32pm
To be honest, As much as St Michael's tries to stand out from the rest of the schools in the borough, it is fast becoming just another mediocre school, the kids are rude and unruly and even though it still conforms to catholic teachings since the nuns left, the discipline of the students has deteriorated.

but as school's go in the borough it is probably one of the better ones...a word of warning, if this is your first child to start secondary school, keep a close eye on them and make sure that they make the most out of their education. A lot of the kids see school as the local hang out spot and no matter how bright or level headed your children are, they seem to get sucked into the "i dont need to learn" culture.

BRING BACK THE CANE! :-)
Monday 9 May 2011 6.59pm
dee dee
we did not pick globe but it was the one they gave us all im saying is its not as bad as it was and is on the up
Tuesday 10 May 2011 2.00pm
Just wanted to reply to the comments made by samlouise01 , not too sure if samlouise01 has a child who attends or knows anyone whose child attends St Michael’s.

“it is fast becoming just another mediocre school”.

Could not be further from the truth, St Michael’s has recently be classed as “outstanding” by OFSTED. The pupils at St Michael’s regularly obtain some of the highest grades for any school in the borough and a close look at the recent OFSTED report will show that pupils progress to a high standard.

“the kids are rude and unruly”. “the discipline of the students has deteriorated”.

I do not doubt for one moment that like any inner-city school there are a very small number of pupils that are less than polite but it is wrong to put this label on all of the puplis. St Michael’s prides itself on the good conduct and discipline of their pupils.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: