Oriental Buffet start-up

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 27 April 2004 12.22am
Firstly, Ladies and Gents.......well done! I have lived here for a year now and had never previously stumbled across this terrific forum.

I'd really appreciate some feedback to help form some market research.

I have made an approach to the freeholders of an empty premises located in the vicinity of TBR, not far from the river.

I have sensed that there is a distinct lack of convenient, value for money oriental take-away in the region, aside from the Thames take-away perhaps. But i'm talking buffet-range of numerious dishes supplied from a carousell.....nothing new. I'd like to tap into the busy and short-of-time office-working lunch-goers and the busy lifestyle professional residents of the Shad Thames types who are keen to waste as little time as possible, either in the kitchen or waiting to be served by staff. The concept will be very open-plan with freedom to roam around the buffet and an emphasis on ease to take away.
I think the area has a number of good and reliable a la carte restaurants, including both Chinese and Thai, but I think that it lacks a friendly, affordably-cheap and charismatic speedy alternative. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give me your honest views. Would you use it? If you are stuck in an office nearby, would you swop your bike-delivered sandwich and crisps at your desk for 30-40 minutes sat at a table enjoying perhaps 20 various dishes for around a fiver or take just as enjoyable a feast away to your apartment to rip off your tie/stockings and jump on the sofa?
Tuesday 27 April 2004 7.17am
Mark- that seems a good idea, the only other oriental take away buffet I know is Hong Kong City just past ambulance station in Old Kent road...its a massive place, nice food,also has very large restaurant tagged on the side ( was an old pub)

When you have the take away though the staff walk arouind with you and you tell them what you want, staff place the food into containers.

You can also eat buffet style there too, but you help your self.
good luck any way!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Thursday 29 April 2004 11.03pm
If its anything like the Saigon Buffet in Greenwich I'd use it every day.
Monday 3 May 2004 7.02pm

would you stay open in the evenings, would you do delivery, and if so would you deliver to the northern end of Old Kent Rd? That area (where I live) is changing a bit demographically (well, there are people in the 'creative industries' moving in - ie don't want greasy food but don't have a lot of spare cash) and yet there are only super-greasy local delivery places for chinese food.

I think you could have a market in that area. Personally, I'd come in in the evenings as well. There are very few low-cost places to eat around there.

Good luck..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: