Screaming foxes?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 21 March 2011 5.16pm
Hi Everyone... I live at the bottom end of Tooley Street (before Jamaica Road) and was just wondering if anyone else has been woken up in the middle of the night by what I think are screaming foxes?

It's a horrible, blood curdling sound and I can't help but feel a little worried for people that may pass them if they're hiding somewhere...
Monday 21 March 2011 6.17pm
They are shagging DiDi. I grew up in Devon and Bristol (loads of city foxes) and they cant get enough this time of year
Monday 21 March 2011 9.52pm
We are close to being over-run with urban foxes here in Westcliff, and it sure is a blood curdling sound they make when they are mating. The first time I heard it I thought someone was being attacked. I'm told it's the vixens that do the screaming because the dog fox's penis is hooked and once he couples with the vixen she can't get away until the deed is done. Our urban foxes are getting more and more brazen. I've had one come right up to my back door and look at me through the glass. My neighbour told me that he once went in to his kitchen to find a fox snooping around his swing-bin, having left his back door open.
Strange thing is I lived for many years in rural Lincolnshire and never saw or heard one single fox. These urban foxes aren't the sleek, bushy-tailed 'Beatrix Potter' variety. They are hoary, scrawney, pathetic looking things. And when they decide to leave their calling card on your back doorstep it takes about three bowls of soapy water to get rid of the smell. Don't worry about anyone disturbing them. As brazen as they are, they run a mile if anyone approaches them.
Monday 21 March 2011 10.28pm
"until the deed is done", which can be hours. Hence the noise. we have a very handsome one here near Waterloo,nearly came in through the open front door last week during a J Lewis delivery.

As you say, they smell in every possible way.
Monday 21 March 2011 11.02pm
I think I'm in a minority, but I like the urban foxes, despite their, erm, enthusiasm during spring nights. There was a litter of cubs living under my decking a few years ago - enchanting watching them and their mum. Never gave me any trouble. A lovely bushy basil brush type often sleeps by my back door. Nearly fell over him once but he just yawned and went back to sleep.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 12.32am
We should be past the fox breeding season - they get started in January. Perhaps it was a fox territory thing - last years cubs should be moving on to their own territory but sometimes are reluctant to move and fights break out. Vixens will be having their new cubs about now.

I saw a fox the other night and he was a fine looking specimen - full brush, bright eyes and very sleek looking coat.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 8.42am
Monday morning about 1.30/2.00 am....the sound in Leathermarket Gradens was unbelievable....I honestly though somebody was being murdered when I was awoken!
Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.41pm
There are some on Newcommen Street a lot. The flats there have big open bins. Humans are such a dirty pest.
Foxes eat a lot of rats so maybe there's more food for them with all the mini supermarkets.
Is it this time of year that people spread fox hysteria?
Tuesday 22 March 2011 8.50pm
I've heard them outside my house last summer. This is what I learned in India. Muster up all your indignation, open the window and shout "shut up". They will sense it in your voice. It worked, amazingly. I was laughing all the way back to my pillow...I saw a Russian girl do this to a passing fleet of monkeys once many years ago when we were sleeping on the roof in India. The monkeys were also stunned into quiet. Animals are a lot more receptive to their environment than even humans. Give it a try and let me know!
Saturday 26 March 2011 12.47am
Well it could be worse, at least there not screeming rats.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: