Former Esso garage, Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
londonbridge69 Monday 21 March 2011 9.54pm
For your information.. To be discussed at SOUTHWARK COUNCIL CABINET tomorrow ( Tuesday) @4pm
Item 16. A proposal to sell the former esso garage site on the old kent road ( junction with marlborough grove) for 500,000 to the Muslim Association of Nigeria ( re: with view to planning permission for mosque)

Debrajoan Monday 21 March 2011 11.32pm
Thanks for the info londonbridge69.
Personally I couldn't care less what is erected on the site, but being aware of the liberal leanings of a lot of contributors to this forum I would suggest that you duck your head for mentioning the dreaded two M words, muslim and mosque, thereby creating the impression that it is something that YOU may be concerned about, and perhaps so should others.
MillyS Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.19pm
Well here goes then.

I'm concerned anyone else?
First time on this website so please don't attack me.
bankside Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.47pm
500 000 raised?
no wonder us brits are skint we do everything for charity
pixie Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.56pm
oh liberal debrajoan. it will be entertaining if londonbridge69 is muslim & was just concerned about parking issues...
Neil Tuesday 22 March 2011 3.40pm
Presumably the parking and related issues will be addressed once planning permission is applied for.
dee dee Tuesday 22 March 2011 4.26pm
My niece lives behind the current mosque and parking is a real issue as the people visiting park in the flats and residents parking areas preventing the residents from getting parked and blocking them in on occasion. If the new mosque is purpose built with allocated parking then it will be much better. If there is no parking then it will just be moving the problem down the road.

I gather the mosque is very over crowded so does need a bigger purpose built site.
Zoe Tuesday 22 March 2011 9.01pm
People can park in the B&Q over the road, it's never very busy on a Friday. I do hope we get a really landmark building, like the Hindy temple in Neasden (or where ever it is, I'm a bit hazy about North of the river).

I wonder what will happen to their current building, I suppose it'll probably be a housing development, and a boring one at that, looking at the others in the area.
londonbridge69 Tuesday 22 March 2011 10.51pm
As it happens, my concern is that local residents have a say in the need for local housing and employment as stipulated in the Southwark Plan,the site falls within the Old Kent road action area and :
> within this area should seek the creation of housing and increase the
> range of employment uses"
Is the site suitable/ appropriate as a site for religious worship? A question? Democracy?
Merlin Rouge Wednesday 23 March 2011 12.29am
londonbridge69 wrote:
Is the site suitable/ appropriate as a site for religious worship? A question? Democracy?

As suitable as all the other buildings on the OKR that have become places of religious worship over the last ten years whether you believe in religion or not. As for 'democracy' when it comes to that idea and local planning - good luck!!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions