Accident on Tanner Street/junction with Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.05pm
It seems a skip lorry collided with a cyclist on Tanner Street (outside the fish and chip shop) at about 1300hrs. Lots of ambulances and police in attendance. I asked and the police said the cyclist was very badly injured. I couldn't see the skip lorry although the bike was left in the middle of the road, presumably for collision investigators to look into. A 47 bus was also left in situ but the police officer said it was definitely a skip lorry. I hope the cyclist recovers from his injuries. Didn't actually see the collision so not sure of the circumstances. Very sad.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.43pm
The cyclist died.

I did not see the accident, however looking at where it took place, I would assume the cyclist was trying to cycle onto Tooley Street, as most cyclists do there.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 2.49pm
The 47 bus was not involved with the accident; it pulled up some time later as a police car rushed around it and stopped in front of it at the scene.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 4.15pm
Yes thats a slip through only for buses and cyclists so the lorry might have thought he was continuing down tanner rather than the other way round or decided it was a good idea to overtake.

Tuesday 22 March 2011 11.04pm
I've just had to remove a message from this thread; please be careful what you say about the specifics of this case as an arrest has now been made and proceedings are now active.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 7.54am
It's also worth pointing out that an arrest does no imply nor confirm blame, especially in circumstances such as this.

All the same the loss of life is quite tragic.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 9.41am
I quit cycling to work a few weeks ago after a two hairy incidents in one week. One was a bus cutting in on me before finishing overtaking, and the other a van pulling out without seeing me. I decided to give up.

This is now the second death within 100 meters of my front door in about 1 year. I've never lived anywhere in London that I found so dangerous for cycling.

Sympathies to the victim and their family.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 10.15am
Aggression on the roads has indeed got really bad recently maybe with an increase in cyclists and with the current climate being one creating a lot of stress in London generally. (re my recent attack by a commuter). Please be careful out there everyone.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 1.10pm
I would like to see some sort of official investigation into skip lorries as they seem to be disproportionately involved in accidents with cyclists.

I don't cycle on the roads (tend to cycle along the Thames which brings it's own problems) but even as a motorists I give skip lorries a wide berth.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 7.11pm
I cycle west along Jamaica Road in the morning and the road layout here is a fricking disgrace. Coming back east to turn right into Tanner Street is also v hairy. The first bit of 'dual carriageway' opens up from central london and people put their foot down. That way they can get to wait at the next set of lights more quickly. I cycle Thorburn Square to Hoxton square and really struggle to find any safe roads that are reasonably direct without a massive detour. Any suggestions?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: