Blitz

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 March 2011 7.16pm
Does anybody from Scovell Road know anything about the night of the 16.10.1940. In this bombing I lost Grandparents an aunt and uncle and baby cousin. My father John Wakefield was serving in the RAF in the middle east. He was a very private man and didnt keep in touch with other siblings, but it was quite a large family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul
Thursday 24 March 2011 1.47am
Paul, at 1.15am on 16 October 1940 a large high explosive bomb, possibly a land mine, exploded at the juction of Collinson Street/Scovell Road. Two shelters were hit with over 100 trapped and at least 50 casualties.

Ambulances or cars were called as their were Civilian War Dead (CWD). The first casualty was identified as Daisy Miller with others recorded who I assume were your relatives-Elizabeth Wakefield, Walter Wakefield, Walter Wakefield Junior all of 151 Queen's Buildings.

This was a nasty incident and I know others were killed.

Hope this helps
Thursday 24 March 2011 8.28pm
Thanks Neil

This answers lots of questions we had, also clears some of the of myths surrouding their deaths. One of my aunt's married name was Miller, could have been related to Daisy? We understand my aunt Ellen, who now was Ellen Curtis also died with one of twin daughters Elizabeth but the other twin Maureen survied. Is anyway we can verify this. Thanks again
Paul
Thursday 24 March 2011 11.07pm
Paul

I will have a look at this in greater detail over the weekend if that's ok and try an piece together the relationships that you mention. It sounds a bit bizarre but it easier to research the deceased rather than those who survived.

Kind regards

Neil
Saturday 26 March 2011 11.52am
Paul

The Daisy Miller was actually Ruby Sarah Miller (age 20) who was the daughter of Theresa Carolina Miller and the late James Miller-she died in no 1 shelter.

There are photos of bomb damaged Scovell Road in Southwark Archive Library

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: