Olympics vision for the borough...ideas?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 23 March 2011 1.44pm
Well someone could start by sorting out the mess that is Borough High Street from the Slug and Lettuce to St George the Martyr
Wednesday 23 March 2011 6.27pm
I was there today. Seemed pretty normal to me. Shops open and people coming and going.
Wednesday 23 March 2011 8.59pm
boarded up,derelict properties...normal i guess
Thursday 24 March 2011 7.59am
Yes. Very bad for property prices.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 24 March 2011 9.37am
What it needs is a shoe shop, there used to be two at the Borough, one near the old windmill cafe near the post office opposite borough tube..shop was called Bacons... another one was nearer Union street...nice cheap one too...lol
Thursday 24 March 2011 9.57am
To be honest I wouldn't care if the multiples came...just as long as something is done...its a ghastly street with virtualy no destination shops or restaurants...its desperate for some regeneration and with the new building going on all around something has to be done.
Thursday 24 March 2011 10.10am
... and with the new building going on all around something has to be done.

I think that's the point; leases are not being renewed and the buildings are being left waiting for The Shard, though I'd have thought now would be the ideal time to be looking to invest in the area. Was it merely rumour that the Saudis had bought into property locally?
Thursday 24 March 2011 10.50am
Borough High Street isn't going to work as a pleasant commercial area with current pavement widths - time to reinstate the one way with bus/cycle contraflow, or - dare I say it - widen the road ;)
Thursday 24 March 2011 11.02am
urbanite wrote:
To be honest I wouldn't care if the multiples came...just as long as something is done...its a ghastly street with virtualy no destination shops or restaurants...its desperate for some regeneration and with the new building going on all around something has to be done.

What's a destination shop?

Also the road surface of BHS is terrible for cyclists.
Thursday 24 March 2011 11.31am
Resurfacing is about to start - it'll be shut again (as for the the thames water work) for most of the year.

Shame that couldn't have been coordinated - Cheers Boris.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: