Paterson Park Area Proposed Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 25 March 2011 9.27am
I have received a pack from the council regarding a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) in the area surrounding Patterson Park Area in Bermondsey. (See link)

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200140/parking_consultations/2126/paterson_park_parking_consultaton

As a resident of Lynton Road I for one would support this wholehearted as the local roads are plauged with weekday commuter parking.

Another problem are older cars (some untaxed) that park for many weeks (sometime months) without moving, these vehicles appear abandoned and often become targets for anti social activities.

There also are a great deal of large vans and small lorries which belong to businesses located outside of the area which use the local roads as long term parking for unused vehicles, these vehicles are often parked on corners which makes crossing the road quite dangerous.

It also makes sense as nearly all roads surrounding the proposed CPZ already have CPZs.

Any one else think that it is a good idea? If so, make sure that you reply to the council which can be done online using the link above.
Friday 25 March 2011 9.49am
The survey is going to cost thousands of pounds, it's the second time residents have been asked, the first since neighbouring streets have been controlled. I've heard different stories, some people don't want to pay 2 a week to park, others who think the 100 a year will be well spent. Commuters who park and than get buses from Old Kent Road, or use trains from South Bermondsey could be discouraged by having parking controls 10am - 12noon.
Link to my blog and info here
Friday 25 March 2011 11.21am
Graham

Thank you for your input. I do agree that this is a subject that would attract many different valid views. I personally have lived in Bermondsey for forty years and have seen the area change a great deal in that time. I would rather not have to pay to park outside of my home but I do think that it is a better option than having to park in the next street.

A lot of the homes covered by this proposed CPZ are now privately owed, having been purchased in the late 80s and sold off (for big profits) under the Conservatives right to buy scheme. If you walk around the area you can see the BMWs and Mercedes outside of theses homes, so two pounds a week should not be too much of a burden (less than the price of a Starbucks coffee).

My understanding is that most of the social housing ie. the Longields, Rouel Road and Lucy Way estates are already covered by estate parking schemes so they would not be adversely affected by the proposed CPZ.

Many of the newer houses (built within the last 10-20 years) off of Rolls Road, Catlin Street and St James Road either have off street parking (within their back/front gardens) or have allocated residents parking spaces so once again they should not be too badly affected.

As much as 10am to midday scheme would be ideal to deter commuters, if the proposed scheme does not match the surrounding CPZs, the new scheme would be useless.

The parking problems in the area have got much worse since the start of this year as the likes of B&Q , Argos/Currys and Tesco have introduced automatic camera controlled parking fines, so this has resulted in increased parking in the area.

The above are just my view so it would be good to hear from others in the area.
Friday 25 March 2011 4.33pm
I'm on Alma Grove and never have a problem parking so am against the CPZ.
Friday 25 March 2011 5.52pm
Longley Street - only twice in four years have i had to park in a neighbouring street. Really dont want this scheme - just feels like a cynical revenue raising scheme for a cash strapped council. Love the fact people can come and visit and you dont have to fork out loads of money for their permits. All the associated street furniture is totally out of keeping for a conservation zone as well!
Friday 13 January 2012 3.53pm
Is this still happening? When will it all come into action?
Friday 13 January 2012 6.01pm
Southwark's report is here,
The turnout in this all postal/email poll was a disappointing 15%, but there was a 81% vote against the introduction (580 of the total 740 respondents)
The Corner parking double yellow lines work has started pic here
link to Paterson Park consultation results here.
Friday 13 January 2012 6.10pm
My friend is in Yalding rd and has terrible problems parking,the householders have taken to putting bins in the kerb to combat this problem.
Friday 13 January 2012 7.15pm
There was a 23% response in Yalding Road, above average, majority against installation of parking scheme.
Sunday 15 January 2012 12.36am
graham wrote:
There was a 23% response in Yalding Road, above average, majority against installation of parking scheme.

I'm surprised at that,although there is already quite a bit of off road parking to be had ie:raoul rd estate and grange walk,I guess it's only the houses and eldridge court who require road parking spaces.
I know my friend was not impressed with the plans sent to him by SC,narrowing the road,I don't know the full ins and outs so I will bow to thee.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network