british summertime for good?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 25 March 2011 4.05pm
now that we are nearing british summertime once again, is there anyone who,like me, who wishes that it could just stay like it all year around from now on? i know this is an old and tried debate, but, im just wondering how everyone still feels about it?
Friday 25 March 2011 4.57pm
the sooner the better!!
Friday 25 March 2011 5.52pm
I'm all for it, and I thought I heard something on the radio recently about it. Apparently it's going to be put before Parliament soon and hopefully the act will be passed. They need to get a move on if this is the case.
Friday 25 March 2011 9.23pm
thats true chalkey, lets just hope in time that they make the leap, i heard they experimented with it once before, i was too young at the time to remember it, does anyone remember exactlty when it was they did?
Friday 25 March 2011 9.52pm
My foggy old memory tells me it was sometime back in the 1970's. The reason at the time was to have lighter morminmgs so kids didn't have to go to school in the half-light of those mid-winter mornings.
Friday 25 March 2011 10.43pm
cheers for that info chalkey
Saturday 26 March 2011 7.10am
Two thoughts - Scotland could go on a different time zone as they are always concerned about this proposal. Secondly, you could always alter your personal schedule so that in winter you work 8-4 and in Summer 9-5 (or whatever your routine is...)
Saturday 26 March 2011 11.43am
JimG wrote:
Two thoughts - Scotland could go on a different time zone as they are always concerned about this proposal. Secondly, you could always alter your personal schedule so that in winter you work 8-4 and in Summer 9-5 (or whatever your routine is...)

Sounds like a plan to me Jim, not sure if the sweaties would go for it though.
As for adjusting your own working day, I could, and I do, as a self employed licenced taxi driver I can.
The reason being that in winter, when it's starts to get dark around 16.00 - 16.30, I psychologically feel like I'm working nights.
However it could prove difficult for people in normal employment, working to their company's schedule.
Saturday 26 March 2011 2.01pm
Another yes from me! I've never understood the argument that it is the Scottish farmers who want it - surely farmers get up when animals need feeding & go to bed when it's dark or the work is done. No farmers I know live by the clock, but by the weather & light
Monday 28 March 2011 10.00am
All for this...so many advantages to having more light in the evenings...most people go to work with their eyes closed so who cares that it will be a bit darker in the mornings for longer...its all about useful light and that for the vast majority of people is in the evenings.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: