Blue Lion 1950s factory

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 27 April 2004 11.25pm
Hi All,
I'm just on the road to moving into the Blue Lion factory that faces the gates,on Long Lane.
The building has a 1950's plaque over the main wooden doors.
Does anyone know what this factory used to do?

Cheers Jim

Wednesday 28 April 2004 11.46am
Jim where in long lane is it?

Wednesday 28 April 2004 1.14pm
I was told it was the print works for TSB printing cheque books.
Wednesday 28 April 2004 1.59pm
was oyez printers-don't know if they did cheque books though

welcome to the neighbourhood! did they warn you that the developer is trying to build a 5 story block of 25 flats over the entrance to blue lion place and the car park for 237 long lane-next to the simon-before you decided to move in!

Wednesday 28 April 2004 3.33pm
Oyez are legal stationery printers...
Wednesday 28 April 2004 4.40pm
I thought it used to be the site of the TSO Parliamentary Press (hence, perhaps, the confusion with TSB) ?

The Parliamentary Press publishes the written record of the previous night's sitting at the Houses of Parliament - now largely done by computer and via Hansard online - so no need for the factory.

They still have an office on Mandela Way.

Wednesday 28 April 2004 4.58pm
I asked my mum who used to live in Snowsfields and she thinks it was oyez and they were based in oyez house but did say they moved not far away which could have been Mandela way so maybe TSO-she is getting old now and i gather the memory goes!. I gather there were a few small factories on the sight and surrounding area
Wednesday 28 April 2004 5.15pm
I think Oyez House moved to Spa Road?

"The OyezStraker Group is the result of the merger of the UK's leading independent office suppliers - Oyez Stationery Group and Straker Office Supplies.

Originally established as the Solicitors' Law Stationery Society in 1888, Oyez has grown to be one of the country's largest office services companies, serving a wide professional and commercial market of over 12,000 customers."

Another part of the former Oyez empire survives in SE1 as Imprima deBussy the "financial print and communications group" in Waterloo Road. Article from when they were just Imprima
Wednesday 28 April 2004 7.02pm
Dee / Lang,

I think you may be right about Oyez - then Ctrl/F for Oyez.

That said, the TSO Parliamentary Press was also somewhere in SE1 until at least the late 80's - you wouldn't think there could be that many places to put a printing press (or several) in the area !

Wednesday 28 April 2004 7.29pm
There is still a printing press for Hansard which runs overnight during the Parliamentary session to produce hard copies by 7.30am. I'm fairly sure that it is located at Mandela Way (which is the official postal address for the Parliamentary Press) TSO do still have another warehouse site at Nine Elms Lane in deepest SW8.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: