Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 March 2011 9.26am
Around 4.30 and up to at least 5.30 yesterday there was a lot of car horn blasting which seemed to be coming from The Cut / Union Street junction. I have a feeling it was taxis, but was too far away to be sure. It could have started earlir and gone on longer, but I was out of earshot before 4.30 and after 5.30. It sounded like some sort of demonstration or protest. Does anyone know what was going on?
Thursday 31 March 2011 10.50am
This sounds like the regular demonstration taxis drivers make at Palestra House (where the Public Carriage Office is based). They drive around the building tooting their horns for an hour.

I can't remember what they are currently angry about.
Thursday 31 March 2011 10.51am
That would make sense - boy was it annoying and that was from Burrell Street!
Thursday 31 March 2011 11.39am
It wouldn't be that they are the most expensive taxis in the world I guess!!!
Thursday 31 March 2011 12.17pm
I wish someone told them they are doing it in front of a residential block and disturbing dozens of ordinary people rather that the London Transport officials sitting behind thick windows in Palestra. Who can we call to complain, I think Southwark Noise team will not deal with noise from the streets?
Thursday 31 March 2011 2.16pm
I don't see why the Noise Team shouldn't be informed - don't see why taxi drivers should feel free to disturb local residents anytime they want. Could also try complaining to whoever manages the Palestra building.
Friday 1 April 2011 9.23am
rather annoying, I live in the flats directly opposite and don't really appreciate the noise... lucky for me I have had double glazing installed recently...but its still pretty loud. can't imagine what it would sound like if i had my old crappy windows still!

but seeing as its a "protest" i am not sure if Southwark council could do much, probably infringe some sort of human right if they tried.
Friday 1 April 2011 9.35am
Seems to me Southwark Council are missing a trick.

Each taxi driver driving around with horn blaring is breaking 2 items of the Highway Code rule 112:

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.

A quick Google reveals the average fine to be about 30.

A nice little earner for the council???

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: