central heating in double height property

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 March 2011 12.04pm
Having spent the winter wearing several layers and still freezing - its time to renew the central heating. I'm wondering what other folk have who live in double height conversions of which there are many in SE1. There's no gas in my building and currently I have storage heaters which kind of heated the mezzanine levels but didn't do much for the living areas as there was no means to push the warm air back down. What electric central heating do other properties have ?
Thursday 31 March 2011 12.46pm
Hi Susan - my place is not a mezzanine, but the ceilings are very high. I invested in a ceiling fan whose rotation can be changed depending on the season.

Have a quick look here.

The solution works for me - I have the fan rotating slowly in winter and can feel the difference.

The fans are easy to fit. I went for one with a built in light and simply replaced the existing light fitting with the fan/light unit using the existing wiring and screw holes.
Thursday 31 March 2011 1.03pm
An engineering type I knew fitted underfloor to an electric water heater to get a better warm in gas free building, only works if your floor is suitable though...
Thursday 31 March 2011 8.33pm
I guess in double height underfloor heating might warm your floor but probably will not be sufficient to heat the entire room, especially if it's a warehouse type building with large windows. However, I have a feeling a temperate floor can make a big difference in how warm the space is / feels. Maybe some combination, underfloor heating and Radiators might do the trick?
Back on the continent radiators are always underneath / along the window (s). That's where you have the cold downdraft from windows and therefore is an ideal place to mix it up with warm air and have warmed the air moved through your space rather than just sitting in one corner. But usually in the UK people say the opposite and have radiators furthest away from the windows.

Alternatively, you may also find that extending the hours of heating could make a big difference, as it probably takes a long time for a double height space to fully heat up, especially if the temperature falls below a certain level.
The thermostat control panel I fitted on my heating has a nice side function where there is a minimum temperature you can set when the heating is 'turned off' between automatic cyles. In the absolutely coldest days I set this to 17/18 degrees and it did help me to heat my flat. Mind you, I have no double height but have large single glazed windows, a concrete floor and large kitchen stone worktop both of which really store the cold and take a few hours to heat up again from 16-21 degrees.
Friday 1 April 2011 1.33pm
If the storage heaters are old ones then replacing them with new ones might do the trick - especially ones with fanned storage and top-up day rate fan heaters. We had new automatically controlled fanned storage heaters installed a flat in one of the school conversions and they coped fine, way better than the 10 year old ones we started out with. That would be minimal work as well since the wiring etc would already all be installed.
Saturday 2 April 2011 1.51pm
Calor Gas Fire...the Superser I think they still sell and deliver them, cheap to run and they deliver the canisters more often than not..
Saturday 2 April 2011 5.45pm
Many thanks for the tips folks, I feel I might actually get through next winter now !

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: