Taxi recommendations

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 1 April 2011 8.10pm
I need to get a taxi to LCY airport early on Monday morning. I can expense it so I'm not looking for the cheapest but I don't want to be ripped off by Addison Lee.

I'm not looking for a chauffeur type company but could anyone recommend a taxi company that uses new-ish, clean cars with polite drivers?

Previously had mixed experiences for personal bookings i.e. rude drivers, drivers with hygiene issues, dirty cars.

Thanks.
Friday 1 April 2011 10.40pm
If you want to get there quickly and efficiently then try Radio Taxis on 020 7272 0272.
They are a licenced "black cab" radio circuit that have never let me down.
Be advised, they charge a 2.00 telephone booking fee, which doesn't go to the driver, it is what they take from him for supplying the work.
In addition, the driver can have a maximum of 4.00 on the meter at the booked time.
You can pay by cash or credit/debit card, phone them any time, the job goes into their data system and is called to the nearest available taxi 12 - 15 minutes before the booked time.
I live in Rotherhithe and the fare, depending on traffic fluctuates between 21.00 - 27.00.
Saturday 2 April 2011 10.14am
Waterloo cars are very reliable And often use them to go to LCY

020 7407 3456
Saturday 2 April 2011 10.14am
Nice recommendation DJ, as someone in "the trade" I appreciate it.
I would suggest however that as your pick up address is in Rotherhithe then it would be only natural that your driver would opt for the direct route through Rotherhithe Tunnel, this would make your 21 - 27 fare about right.
If the pick up emanated from, e.g. Long Lane/BHS, then the driver could opt for London Bridge/Tower Bridge.
This would elevate the meter fare to LCY by 6 - 7 - or 8, particularly in the light of this weekend's fare rise of 2.7%
So Saus, if you wisely, IMO, take a black cab, ask the driver to use Rotherhithe Tunnel, this will obviate using heavily trafficked Upper and Lower Thames Streets, East Smithfield and The Highway, plus by virtue of being able to use bus lanes he'll get you there that much quicker and cheaper.
Finally Saus, depending on your location, and the time of your flight, if you walked to the nearest main road and hailed a taxi, starting at a "dead" clock of 2.20 you would save around 6.00. Good luck, and have a pleasant flight.
Saturday 2 April 2011 11.46am
billreese wrote:
Waterloo cars are very reliable And often use them to go to LCY
020 7407 3456

Good to hear: they're my local firm but haven't had the need to use them yet.

How are waiting times at night? As I guess they must get a fair amount of trade from Ministry of Sound punters.
TAK
Saturday 2 April 2011 1.02pm
I think other people used to recommend Addison Lee - I've been very happy with them each time I have used them so far.
Saturday 2 April 2011 6.38pm
I would recommend not choosing Elephant Car Service.
Saturday 2 April 2011 10.53pm
I used to really rate Waterloo cars but they are a bit shabby now: fine for local jobs but I wouldn't use them for airports / time sensitive calls. They have sent a couple of cars over the last few months that are barely roadworthy, one got a flat tire on the way to Victoria and another arrived (late) and then told me his steering had failed. I had to call Add Lee and just caught my flight. Not impressed.

Surely there must be another decent cab company in SE1?
Sunday 3 April 2011 10.55am
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to give Express a go.
Monday 4 April 2011 2.48pm
Used waterloo cars on sunday morning . pre booked to pick me up at 0630 in SE1 , going to the Excel centre .

Arrived exactly on time , nice new mercedes ..very clean inside and friendly driver . Cost was 20 .

Got to use them again tuesday at same time and going to same place , so will see if they are as good this time as well !
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: