How much?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 April 2004 1.40pm
My own fault I know but last night I ducked into The George on Borough High Street to escape the rain. I bought a pint of London Pride, a vodka and tomato juice and a bag of crisps. Seven pounds fifty something!!! I asked the bored looking barman if that was right as it seemed a bit steep for two drinks and he checked and sourly informed me that it was. I left the bar mumbling and grumbling and went to sit down and have a moan to my wet and slightly frazzled companion.

It went a little something like this. She had wanted a small glass of red wine but they only do large ones. Why? They had those little bottles but they had normal ones too. Anywhere else would open a bottle and pour what was ordered and sell the rest later. Secondly, the vodka and tomato juice was served with ice but no offer was made of lemon or Worcester Sauce. Again, I would have thought this was standard practice. Thirdly, the crisps came in a huge bag - no ordinary sizes. All this supersizing of course costs us more. And on top of all this the barman was ever so slightly sarcastic when I questioned the price.

Now, I know it's a tourist trap and I should perhaps have known better but aren't they just being greedy? They'd fill the place every night anyway, why fleece the customers too? I will not be drinking there again.

On a more positive note, we went to that new tapas place that was in The Guardian last week (Gambia Street) and it was fab. Fino, chicken livers and a paprika sauce unlike any other I've encountered. The staff were also very pleasant, almost jovial. Recomended.

"I knew I was cured"
Wednesday 28 April 2004 1.48pm
Just because the Guardian has only just caught up with it, it doesn't mean that it's new!

Mar i Terra has been in Gambia Street for several years now. Used to be the Hop Pole pub.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 April 2004 1.55pm
Oops! I remember the Hop Pole but it's been years since I was there so I didn't know. Anyway, the recomendation still stands.

"I knew I was cured"
Wednesday 28 April 2004 5.00pm
And do you think the Guardian reviewer's disparaging comments about the state of Gambia Street ("one of the most obscure, derelict streets I have ever been down in London") were based on a visit before or after the recent complete remodelling of the street -now it has seats and flowerbeds next to a playground - or just north of the river-dweller prejudice? I think it looks pretty good now.,3605,1200795,00.html

Thursday 29 April 2004 9.45am
I didn't actually read the article but I was told that the reviewer and his companion managed to spend 100. We were struggling to spend 40. This journalism lark sounds like a right doss.

"I knew I was cured"

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: