Free Music at the Southbank Centre (state funded shambles)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.49am
Free Music at the Southbank Centre (state funded shambles)
I just got back from one of the free concerts at the south bank centre,
Bjork Producer Valgeir Sigurossen and the britten sinffonia playing modern interpretations of Bachs Goldberg Variations,
Iíve been to some very good Free concerts inside the main halls (no complaints there)
However this was in the from room at the queen Elisabeth hall,
The concert was Musically Brilliant ,But was wrecked by the bar staff making crashing and banging noises all the way through, which considering the cups were made of plastic and there was hardly any one at the bar was very strange , I would go so far as to say they couldnít have made more noise had they been paid to,

May be the South Bank centre doesnít want to give free concerts, may be they were trying to wreck any ones attempt to record it, or more controversially it was state orchestrated banging noise that goes on around gay men, and this is a scientific fact im afraid.

My feelings are it was a combination of all three.

It was funded by the arts council. If this is what we get from arts council funding, will we miss it if its axed.

Oh well,
when an event looks good on a list ,who cares what the real thing is like.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.55am
mickysalt wrote:
state orchestrated banging noise that goes on around gay men, and this is a scientific fact im afraid.

Can you point us to this piece of research, I wouldn't mind having a read.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 1.23am
mickysalt wrote:
or more controversially it was state orchestrated banging noise that goes on around gay men, and this is a scientific fact im afraid.

Eh? I wasn't aware the hand of government encouraged anyone's decibel output, apart from the odd drumroll and trumpet voluntary. Even less that a designated minority was chartered to do so.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.33am
What was the point of your posting?

If there was a noise disturbing you during an event you attended, then why didn't you say something to someone who (a) cared (b) could do something about it such as the manager.

Instead of rambling and moaning about your retrospective inaction and making a baseless, irrelevant and offensive assertion about gay men.

This is not London SE1 discussion - it's chatter, and it's prehistoric chatter at that.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.41am
How odd.

Sounds like you got what you paid for.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 4.18pm
I'm fascinated by the concept of a "state orchestrated banging noise that goes on around gay men" Is this some form of gay orgy sponsored by the conservative-liberal government? If so, it sounds like a particularly good use of taxpayers money.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 7.32pm
Dear Mickysalt,

Get some (professional) help?
Saturday 9 April 2011 9.51am
mickysalt wrote:
it was state orchestrated banging noise that goes on around gay men, and this is a scientific fact im afraid.

Does anybody know what this means?
Saturday 9 April 2011 3.31pm
You can add me to the totally confused list...is it a version of the high pitched dog whistle used to clear an area of gay men.

Strangely the Evening Standard review of the concert last week made no mention of 'state orchestrated banging' nor the noisy bar staff.........so no help there then.
Saturday 9 April 2011 7.53pm
I can recall going to a japanese experimental gig which was made up of long silence pauses on an acoustic guitar, innocently going to the bar for a drink and then wishing for instant invisibility as both the bartender and I shrank from the rattle and clunk of the cash till. Highly embarrassing. The noisy bar staff I get, I've had the same issue at those free events but I'm intrigued otherwise. Micky, would you care to explain?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: