Alternative to Borough Market?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.27am
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here so I am not sure whether this has been brought up before... but here goes!

does anyone know if there is a local alternative to Borough Market?

I went down there last week and was shocked at the price of goods! and it seems that the "fast food" already cooked stuff is taking over the market!. All I want is somewhere local that is not subject to its own rate of inflation that sources good quality fresh veg,fruit, meat and if i am lucky fish....I understand i might pay a little extra for this but not the extortionate amounts they seem to be charging at Borough Market!
what happened to the days when Borough was for the small trader sourcing quality goods at a good price?!
(rant over)

:-)

any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks

Sam
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.33am
There's a bunch - Bermondsy Square, Elephant and Castle (by the LCC), there's a farmers market at Oval. I think they are all on Saturdays.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.35am
Have a look at East Street Market.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.40am
Market Place at The Blue, off Southwark Park Road.
Mick sells fruit & veg bought wholesale at Borough, at realistic prices. I shop there twice a week. Can't recommend it enough.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.54am
Southwark Council have a page with most markets listed (only just found this myself). Have a look here.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 11.56am
Don't forget Suffolk Meats in Great Suffolk Street. Excellent quality, much cheaper than Borough Market and the couple who run it are really helpful.
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.07pm
Not SE1 and haven't tried them myself but may be worth checking out :-
http://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/index2.html
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.10pm
Thanks for all your suggestions,

I have tried the butchers on Gt Suffolk street... i actually forgot it was there! will use them more often now you reminded me....

what i am looking for is a place like borough were i can wander round and find something unusual to buy without the price tag! I will try the oval market i think. where is it in oval? by the ground?

Thanks

Sam
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.27pm
I Heard that Druid St has stalls open on saturday mornings?
Tuesday 5 April 2011 12.38pm
Druid St has been my secret go-to market for about 6 months now and (in my opinion) is going from strength to strength. But sssh... don't tell anyone as its supposed to be a secret safehaven away from the maddening Borough crowds.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: