Cleaning Services Cuts in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 April 2011 1.38pm
Very saddening to see the rich and tourist face of our borough is to get a full cleaning service when the residential sections with arguably a poorer population are getting it cut by 50% so the poorer will get poorer etc. As long as the front is tended to, the back can rot. MPs you should hang your heads in shame.

Nice one lib dems for blaming it on labour - this seems nonsensical to make residents suffer in a political slanging match. This is what is happening in Lewisham and having worked at the GLA I know what the score is. I know services need to be cut but it seems this has not been done strategically - couldnt it be reduced across the entire borough for consistancy and to reduce costs?

Also with the shard and other big budget projects coming to the area will this not have the added benefit of bringing distributable wealth to the borough or are we marked to repeat a south of the river tower hamlet/square mile dichotomy?
Friday 8 April 2011 2.23pm
It is a shame that these services are being cut, just as it is a shame that other services have to be cut too.

However, I can't help thinking that increased efficiency in some areas could mean that our streets and estates remain in good condition irrespective of the cutbacks.

I live off Southwark Bridge Road. Our cleaner walks around at a very, very gentle pace, chatting on his mobile for what seems like hours on end. He does get his work done but at an incredibly leisurely pace. He's a nice guy, but he is very lazy or, at the very least, improperly managed/supervised.

Perhaps management should look at the productivity of the cleaners. If others are like ours then with a kick up the backside larger areas could very easily be covered with fewer staff, thereby striking a balance between cost saving and cleanliness.
Monday 11 April 2011 8.51am
I sadly agree with Mullet. I live near borough st and I have never seen such a poor street cleaning as here. The machine does not even use a jet but just rolling brushes... So it is simply useless... But you know... They make people think they have done it. Efficiency of a service is what the council should give. Southwark is poor. But this is my opinion. Of course...
Monday 11 April 2011 10.23am
Our cleaners, down on the Rockingham Estate keep the place pretty immaculate and manage in quite difficult conditions in places. The ones on Rockingham Street to a great job too - and end up cleaning up glass from car windows that have been broken on a Saturday night and Lord knows what other little pleasures the clubbers have left all over the pavements. We still get some litter but... and this is the real issue... the problem is not the amount of street cleaning we have, it's the amount of litter dropped by people.

Sorry, I'm going to go a little spare here! Why do people drop litter!? It's just nasty for everyone and we have to pay for its collection!! And pay a lot at that!! (Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a diseased mind) Apologies.
Monday 11 April 2011 10.37am
Well said Dronid. Maybe some more education on not dropping litter & real fines for people who do. I tend to run up to people saying 'excuse me, I think you accidently dropped something' & find it usually works quite well :-)
Monday 11 April 2011 4.43pm
You guys are right and I could not agree more but these are two separate issues. Last week I had a conversation with a guy on the 35 bus. On sat morning there was litter everywhere and food. I said that it s outrageous people do that. He said it was the cleaners fault. I support the former view, but than you have to punish those who litter....and stop them. Or you do your job. Middle way do not work.
Monday 11 April 2011 5.17pm
In the Fifties Sarah when ever we were fortunate enough to afford going to the 'piktures' in the interval there was a public information film which showed a living room full of litter..it had a voice over saying "you would not do this in your own home so why do it in the streets", the funny thing was there was hardly any litter in the streets, but if anyone did drop a chip paper we all shouted out...'your 'ome is dirty'...even today over 50 years later I still put any sweet wrappers litter i have made into my pocket or bag if I can't find a bin.
Monday 11 April 2011 5.30pm
orione wrote:
You guys are right and I could not agree more but these are two separate issues. Last week I had a conversation with a guy on the 35 bus. On sat morning there was litter everywhere and food. I said that it s outrageous people do that. He said it was the cleaners fault. I support the former view, but than you have to punish those who litter....and stop them. Or you do your job. Middle way do not work.

I recently told someone off for dropping one of the chicken boxes full of bones on the floor and he told me that he was keeping someone in work by making a mess!
Monday 11 April 2011 6.00pm
dee dee wrote:
orione wrote:

I recently told someone off for dropping one of the chicken boxes full of bones on the floor and he told me that he was keeping someone in work by making a mess!

... yeah Dee..I get a rush of blood to the head! Thing is, this should be correct by the same authorities. How marvelous that would be if the money were not spent to clean the mess but to make the place even better?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: