Borough High Street to be closed southbound for 9 months

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 11 April 2011 4.03pm

And closed in both directions for the May Day Bank Holiday weekend, and possibly every weekend in May if there are any hitches.

Sunday 1 May 2011 9.15am
Does anyone agree with me that Borough High st is much improved when it is one way only.
I think they should make it permantly either north or southbound only. widen the pavements, reduce the speed limit to 20MPH and utalise Southwark Bridge rd more.
Monday 2 May 2011 8.40pm
Yes, I agree. When BH was closed one way last year there was a huge improvement in pedstrian and safe cycle movement, perhaps allowing for future widening of pavements and an increase in shop trade, may even encourage shop owners to smarten up/renovate shop fronts
Tuesday 3 May 2011 8.19am
Looks like all went to plan with the bridge according to above SE1 article. Wonder how long before it's tagged by a graffiti 'artist'?
Apart from Borough Market, Post Office, Rymans, and Sainsburys what useful, or even interesting, outlets are there in BHS. It's just not wide enough and too much traffic for comfort.
Wednesday 4 May 2011 8.09am
What post office?
Wednesday 4 May 2011 9.01am
Sat back off the road, exactly below the east end of the bridge section. It is very inconspicuous so not surprised you've never noticed it.
Sunday 8 May 2011 12.38pm
Having had a very noisy train journey from kent, caused by a gang of young girls very drunk and happy ( I'm only jealous!) compounded by the fact that they were joined by a few lads one of whom was wearing very tight calvin kleins underpants and nowt else..who then thought it would be fascinating for the girls to see his genitalia..then the firls were taking photos which then caused the girls with the aforesaid member waving four inches from her face to shriek...'dont put that on facebook or i'll effing kill yer!'

I was really pleased to arrive at london bridge station...coming out no taxis...was directed again to taxi rank in tooley street no taxis..dragged myself somehow or other to the bus stop on london bridge which was packed..20 minutes after I phoned lon.transport and demanded to know why no buses had crossed over the bridge in either direction..well the girl thought she was talking to an idiot ..and she was as I turned around to address the whole bus queue and saw the borough high street completely closed!

I then trudged back to tooley street to stand in the rank! No more going to kent until the station and b.h.street is fully operational for me!
Sunday 8 May 2011 11.28pm
Sorry to hear of your travails Jan.
Personally I normally aim for the rank at London Bridge when I first come out to start work, but in exceptional circumstances like this weekend when there is no access to the station, I have found that the wait for a fare in Tooley Street is not worth it, so I carry on to Liverpool Street station instead.
People are unaware of exactly where the temporary rank is, and amble down to B.H.S. and hail a passing taxi, which is their prerogative, but no good to the guys waiting for a fare in Tooley Street.
Or they get to the Tooley Street rank, get in and then cry their eyes out because they are sitting in heavy traffic because of the road work situation.
I can do without that, the static traffic caused by the closure is not my fault, and if I wanted to listen to someone moaning I'd stay at home and listen to the enemy within!
Sunday 29 May 2011 8.36am
I was wondering if BHS roadworks have lasted longer than the Mayfair Carpets sale. if nothing else BHS seems to set some amazing records.

Sunday 29 May 2011 4.07pm
phoney wrote:
I was wondering if BHS roadworks have lasted longer than the Mayfair Carpets sale. if nothing else BHS seems to set some amazing records.

Oh yes, Mayfair Carpets - I forgot about them and their closing down sale that lasted what seemed a couple of years! hahaha - they have finally gone now.

Although BHS will not open again until late November, it didn't seem that long ago that it was closed southbound for quite a few months - but I must say it is easier and quicker for me to catch the bus in Southwark Street.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: